Citizens Bank Customer Service

Citizens Bank customer service is ranked #351 out of the 724 companies that have a CustomerServiceScoreboard.com rating with an overall score of 34.93 out of a possible 200 based upon 93 ratings. This score rates Citizens Bank customer service and customer support as Disappointing.

• Viewing Citizens Bank customer service complaints
  • Customer for 9 plus years. Went to deposit my husband's paycheck that he endorsed on back like I do every other week. The teller said they could not accept it that he had to be present bc I could have forged his signature. I told him I've been depositing his checks for 9 years and I've never.had a problem. I asked for the manager and he told me he was. He said that for 9 years they werent allowed to accept a third party check. I turned around and walked out bc I knew the guy was wrong and called the main bank number and explained and they said to go to another branch and I did and had no problem depositing the check. Meanwhile the.first one is my main branch. I have a heloc and safety deposit box there and 4 separate accounts with money on them to cover.the check. This happened today at the Sinking Sting Pa branch. I was told from rep on phone the manager is Peter Frederick. I would like someone to tell this guy you don't treat long time customers that way and that an endorsed check from my husband is fine to accept for a deposit.

nybtrfly1 6/13/14 3:43PM
  • I am in the process of closing my account with Citizens. They make certain to credit funds to your account so they can get the maximum in overdraft fees. It is ridiculous. They also hold payroll checks for days and their tellers are not friendly or helpful. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Anonymous 4/24/14 10:56AM
  • my friend owe this bank money her mistake was having her tax check direct deposit to citizens. they never talk to her about setting up a payment plan.The money was in this bank at least a month.She has no job right now has a daughter and a granddaughter at home.now with no money.the male teller lied to her.today the bank wipe her clean without notifly her. this bank is in heidelburg pa. how can they do this without contacting you?

serenity 3/6/14 10:50PM
  • I am closing my account with this bank.my friend owe this bank money they took every penny she had from her income tax.these people didn't even have the nerve to ask about setting up payments to her..thats pretty dirty of them. citizens bank could of left her a penny. don't bank with CITIZENS BANK PERIOD.

PIONEERS 3/6/14 7:14PM
  • We have had a mortgage with Citizen's bank for ten years and no problem. BEWARE. We applied for a home equity loan and it was a "bait and switch" approach all the way. We have FICO scores of 840, at the top of outstanding. We have a relationship score of over 60 with the bank because of our perfect record of mortgage payment and no problems. At every step, the 3/25% rate they said would be possible if we had good credit has gone up and up. Finally, they got to 3.9%. The Webster NY branch has nice people, but they don't keep their word. From increasing rates to failure to keep the window for the closing date. If I had a choice, I would go elsewhere. Try a nice bank like Canandaigua National. At least they'll be honest about what the rates really are: 4% and what the timeline is. They also return their calls.

Joseph Roscoe 3/26/13 1:39PM
  • Haverford

Woman At The Service Desk Today(2/24/13) Till Closing Time. Worst Person In The World. Extremely Rude, Knows Nothing. This Person Should Be Fired. Waited For Her For 2 Hours, And When She Comes Back, I Get An Extremely Rude Comment And Sass. You Have No Right To Work At A Bank Or Anywhere Else In The World. Before You Learn To Handle Money, Go Learn Manners First.

Anonymous 2/24/13 3:45PM
  • My husband and I are middle aged citizens and we're trying to refinance our home with my husband working full time and me as a part tine worker were offered by Citizens bank a refinancing option to our current home. Since we maintained accounts with Citizens bank, we trusted their offer and began the loan processing in July, 2012. I've to let the world know that, It was nothing but a nightmare process and now after six months, still they didn't close the loan and we lost the deposit $450.00. Citizens bank's loan dept literally taken us for a ride.

We've submitted all the long list of documents within two weeks of the initial processing. Then started following up...Then 2,4,6,8,12 weeks passed by...After 4 months they started asking the same documents we've submiited earlier...We're helpless and the worst part about this was, there was no explanation from the Citizens bank side, why it took so long for responding and queries and what they were doing with our files...For them, the customer satisfaction has no value in it.

We did not understand how such a huge mistake could have happened. Almost six months later they started requesting the same documents and other list of verifications again...we kept on requesting them really humbly to stop this processing fiasco and refund our hard earned $450.00. The Citizens bank simply replied NO...We lost our deposit money as well as 4+ months of reduced monthly mortage

payment. The Citizens bank dragged us to this nightmare went with no remorse or apology. It's hard to believe such bank can do to the long standing customers.

If you are considering Refinancing/Financing loan with Citizen Mortgage, our humble request to run away from them and don't ended up a prey like us. Please stay away from them for loan purposes.

JREmily 1/31/13 2:37PM
  • They have by far the worst banking and customer service. They provide no help with any of your concerns either and they have attitude!!! My daughters account was fradulently tapped into 3 times while she was paying for theft protection and mine was tapped once on an account with a debit card never used. They also have terrible hours, poor customer service and ridiculous fees. All around DO NOT open an account many other banks are better!! Trust me

Anonymous 1/27/13 10:56AM
  • Closed my account on the 22nd and they without my authoraztion re-opened my account. I am now in the negative 880.88 and they will not do a thing!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE THIS BANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colleencampbellp 1/25/13 12:45PM
  • I dropped in to the Brattleboro branch to cash a small check Three active tellers, all making the best effort to avoid eye contact. Five minutes into my wait, a car pulls into the drive thru and one of the energetic tellers jumps to wait on the driver. Still I am ignored. I was cheerfully greeted by a seemingly manager type who strolled by, but still no teller attention. Another five minutes and I turned and walked out, not even a "have a nice day". What a waste of time. I will probably move my account to another bank soon enough.
    This stupid bank doesn't even have a contact on their web site. Sad...

winger 1/18/13 5:45AM
  • Citizens Bank has horrific customer service. The bank does not care about long time customers of 15+ years or how much $$ you have in the bank. They'll nicke and dime your for $2 E-statement fees if you prefer paper and it will cost you a $10 spot if you need a bank check. Best way to send a message is close your accounts like I did. Custmoer "no service" won't help and the Branch Staff are incapable of making a common sense decision.

Anonymous 1/5/13 11:24AM
  • I am leaving this bank tomorrow. They are charging me $9.99 a month for my own money and I have almost $7000 in the account.

aimdes 1/1/13 1:04PM
  • Citizens bank failed me when I went to get a equity line. I was really just re-applying after purchasing a new home.
    I was jerked around, and i was told that my national flood policy in force was not good enough. They wanted me to get one that was way more expensive. I know better, i am a licensed agent. How many people do they screw? I see it all the time in my insurance agency. Who do they think they are, not to acceptmy valid insurance policy?

monty 12/3/12 3:32PM
  • The customer service I received from this bank is utterly ridiculous and a joke. I've been banking with Citizens for 5 years now, and up until recently I can only recall having one overdraft issue that was resolved painlessly. NOW, however, I will be leaving because of their awful customer service. Two months ago, I attempted to buy books for college, when my card was declined. After I called the bank, I was told by an unhelpful, apathetic representative that my daily spending limit is $200 (?!) and that I should have been aware of this. After pleading with him to help me out in any way, he informed me that there was nothing he could do. NOTHING. I then spoke with another representative, who also gave me nothing but attitude, but he did manage to tell me that they could increase my limit and that he had "no idea why the previous representative said he could do nothing". Great consistency, Citizens Bank.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I need to increase my daily spending for one day to buy a computer. Knowing full well now the hassle I incurred with this before, I make sure to call to have it increased. The representative I spoke with was nice enough, and she informed me that my limit would be in effect until 12 AM (I called at 7 PM). I drive an hour away to make this purchase, only to have my card declined. I call and come to find out the daily limit only lasts ONE HOUR. One hour, Citizens? If I was informed of this ridiculous time limit, I would have called later. After speaking with numerous people and dealing with ridiculously unhelpful "customer service" representatives with terrible attitudes and smark remarks, I come to find that I've accrued six $3.00 charges as a result of being told to go to two separate ATMs to attempt to take money out. I speak with a representative today (terrible attitude present once again) who basically tells me that it's my fault and that she will refund the fees as a "one time courtesy", all the while acting so unprofessionally. Meanwhile, I try to express to them that I would not have had to go to these foreign ATMs and withdraw cash only to incur these fees if I was not misinformed. I ask to speak to a supervisor because of this, and she is equally unhelpful. I am absolutely fed up with this bank and its unprofessional practices and people. I will be banking elsewhere. Save yourself the hassle and DO NOT BANK HERE. Please. I am in customer service myself and would never treat people the way these employees do. The ineptitude is amazing.

Anonymous 11/20/12 12:34PM
  • Citizens bank is an unlawful institution! Last September 2011 I noticed three $20 fees on my account totally $60. I called and found that somehow they had messed up and changed my account to a circle gold account which requires a fee for not having a certain amount of money in it. I never had nor did I authorize the change and wasn't informed. They admitted it was their mistake but refused to refund the full amount. They would only refund $20. With serveral calls, lots of stress, and poor customer service. I was told it was my problem because "you shoule have noticed it sooner" SO after admitting fault their mistake...it is my loss. I was treated poorly and calls were not returned after I asked to speak with a executive or supervisor. I was so upset over this just seemed downright unjust. I took all my money and went to another bank. I didn't want to deal with them anymore after all I had dealt with. I asked through their site how I can close the account. I was told after 61 days with a zero balance account will close. THEY DID NOT SPECIFY IT WOULD STAY OPEN IF I DIDN'T WRITE A LETTER STATING I WANTED THE OVERDRAFT ACCOUNT CLOSED. Isn't an overdraft account considered part of the account???? According to them it is not and you must close them seperately!!! This is a round about scammy/scummy way to try to access fees and keep people in your bank if you ask me. Unfortunately, after not having used this bank in over a year. Somehow, (my bad thinking it was closed) a payment for $9.00 went through on Itunes....now i owe $20 and over a year later my stress and disgust has returned. Unfortunately, this "big scam of a bank" will get their $20 from me for me to be rid or this rage and upset I am feeling. I just want them to go away. Please do not put your money or any of your business here you will eventually lose.

JJTeacher 11/15/12 12:24PM
  • Citizens Bank has the worst customer service in the world, especially online messages.

I am not sure they ever even read them before they paste in their "we can't help you, call our 1-800 number" message!

Circle Gold indeed. They suck.

Caroline-in-NH 11/9/12 9:30AM
  • I was recently charge $125.00 processing fee for a levy that was put on the account in error. I found it much easier to deal with the IRS than the Manager Linda Firth. She was very cold and would not even listen to me. There fees are exuberant. I have also been charge for numerous late charge fees of 37.00 when the money was there. I was told that they process the largest amount first, even if that was your last transaction of the day. I will be calling BBB and closing my account which I have had for 20 years.

cw 11/8/12 1:53PM
  • Be Warned. Do not deposit CASH in their ATM. Here is my story: After bank closing hours, I deposited a check of $50 and CASH of $200 (two, one hundred bills) into the ATM. Two days later I am checking my account and only find that it shows I deposited $50. I called the customer support line and they act like they know nothing about the $200 cash. Pretty much considered me a liar and that I would have to wait for a manager to call me back the next day. Manager calls me back and says that I only deposited a $50 check in the ATM. I was outraged. I told them that I was contacting the CEO of the bank and that I know for a fact that I put two $100 bills in the envelope. To make a long story short, come to find out that they reviewed the video tape and found their own employee had pocketed my CASH. Needless to say, they credited me the money and fired that employee, but the lesson learned is to NEVER DEPOSIT CASH IN THE ATM MACHINE. I got lucky by having the video camera's record everything, but that is because I was at an ATM that had a branch with video cameras focused on the ATM. If I had deposited the CASH in the ATM thru a drive up, I may not have recovered my money. But this also took a month to resolve. I'm glad that I had the $200 to spare or I would have been charged overdraft fees, which I doubt they would have reversed. I left Citizen's Bank because they obviously do not hire the best people and do not do background checks on the people they hire.

Anonymous 10/25/12 11:07PM
  • I just don't want to make a comment. Because that will be the end of it. But i want to mobilize other costumers for us to take to twitter. I used to like this bank. I actually have brought them five new clients over the last nine years. But no more. They are all thieves and crooks and cons. They will push one bill ahead and another behind just so you can fall in default for them to charge you for a penalty. Eventhough, they have more than 20,000.00 in one of my account, they charge for 39.00 for a dollar bill.

bob 10/16/12 11:57AM
  • I co-signed a loan for my daughter. Most of the time she makes a loan payment at the last moment. That triggers many phone calls to my house daily. I have repeatedly requested they use my daughter phone as the contact. They threaten my credit rating instead. I would never bank with them.

Anonymous 10/10/12 4:28PM
  • We strongly recommend AGAINST using citizens bank. We opened an account here only a few months ago and we are actively searching for a new bank. They are the worst bank I have ever dealt with. We were lied to about a number of things regarding the accounts we opened including additional fees that were not mentioned at the time the accounts were opened even though we were assured there weren't any. We have had to call customer service > 4 times in 3 months due to problems with our accounts. The customer service reps are rude and have an extremely poor attitude. Issues have been satisfactorily resolved 0% of the time over the phone.

missedcall 10/3/12 3:25PM
  • this comment is for citizen's bank customer service

Since when does one have to have a driver license to apply for s a student loan? I do not drive and have no use for a driver license. Its not that I am not able to. And, until about 4 years ago, I did drive. But, the last 4 years, I have lived in a large city and it would be ludricous to have had a car there. here, in corbin ky there really is no use for one. My mom does all the driving at the moment. As we hardly go anywhere, why would I need one. That will change someday of course. I explained to her I am 50 years old and have had an excellent driving record. So, the insurance will not be too high. My insurance premiums were always low compared to most people. Sorry, you did not need to know all of this. So, since there are several other options "out there" I will move on to someone else

regards r.parker

babybear1010987 10/1/12 12:13AM
  • Absolutely the worst bank by far and sinking lower all the time. I've been to branches in Roslindale, West Roxbury, and Newtonville and have never encountered a more inept group of people. Monday 9/24 I went to the West Roxbury branch where it took 20 minutes of fiddling with the computer for an employee to tell me that their server had crashed that morning and he was unable to access my information. Today 9/28 I went to the Newtonville branch where a most obnoxious and overbearing women kept telling me I should talk to their financial advisor. After I declined a half dozen times, she still kept pushing it. I wanted to renew a retirement CD, but I couldn't because she kept insisting that it was a traditional one, when in reality I have a Roth. I left totally exasperated, tried to call the manager of that branch when I got home and was told there was no manager. Tried to call their 1-800-922-9999 and got stuck in an automated loop where I could not access a live person. This bank is a nightmare.

fed up 9/28/12 1:47PM
  • Citizens Bank is the worst. They will charge you fees for overdraft left and right. I made a cash withdrawal from my account on a FRIDAY and I became overdrafted and charged because the ATM transaction does not go through until MONDAY. So basically it's like you can't even use your debit card on Fridays and weekends because it wouldn't post to your account until days later. A bank should be posting your transactions as soon as possible. It seemed as if they knew I was going to be over drafted and did not show me any updates until TUESDAY which caused multiple charges. There customer service over the phone is ridiculous. They are rude and don't get back to you when they say they will. When I called and complained, they acted as if it was all my fault because I made a withdrawal on a FRIDAY. Well I'm sorry that your bank is full of crap and telling me that if I make withdrawals from my account in CASH that I wouldn't see it post until DAYS later. Absolutely absurd.

hturas 9/21/12 12:42PM
  • Terrible!! Unable to reach a live person. Following the instructions does not work and is extremely frustrating. The menu we are forced to use is a complete farce.

VSormanti 9/18/12 6:00AM
  • This was great. I had to speak to 2 different people and they were both very nice and very helpful. The prompts worked.

Anonymous 3/11/14 4:22PM
  • Awesome customer service reps, polite, helpful and friendly.

Anonymous 1/24/13 3:50PM
  • I actually just had a good experience with Citizens customer service. I called at 4am when I noticed they had charged me an insufficient funds fee on an acct that I had transferred more than enough money in to to cover a restaurant's error in charging me twice. The customer service rep was courteous and asked me to hold fir 2 minutes while she reversed the fee. I was very satisfied.

seagee 11/28/12 2:13AM
  • I have a safe deposit box at your bank and use it quite often. 10 days ago, I dropped my eternity ring on the floor while I was doing business. After I went crazy looking for it, I got a phone call from Tara,branch manager,to tell me that she found my ring. I know I am very lucky but I also want commend your workers who are so honest and loving. Please let other people know my great experience.

Anonymous 1/31/12 11:42AM
  • Good bank. People in the local offices as well as on the phone always friendly. I guess these people making the negative comments never had to deal with B of A. Now there is a lousy bank.

Anonymous 5/9/11 2:24PM
  • every interaction has been handled professionially,so farso good, love the online banking

Anonymous 4/12/11 8:51PM
  • great help to me got all the info i needed

Anonymous 6/30/10 7:19AM
  • I would have gotten fired if i was a branch mgr. like the one at center square. the assist. was no better. rude and stupid!!! it is amazing.

Anonymous 9/15/11 9:35AM

Check out these popular comparisons of Citizens Bank customer service versus other companies:
Citizens Bank vs. Bank of America
Citizens Bank vs. Chase
Citizens Bank vs. Citibank
Citizens Bank vs. PNC Bank
Citizens Bank vs. Sallie Mae
Citizens Bank vs. Sovereign Bank
Citizens Bank vs. TD Bank
Citizens Bank vs. Wells Fargo
Authorized representatives of Citizens Bank can sign up to reply to any of the comments found on this page.

800-922-9999
Citizens Bank customer service phone number including steps to reach representatives, hours of operation, customer support links and more from ContactHelp.com.

Complete Citizens Bank customer service phone numbers and contact information at ContactHelp.com

Locate the Citizens Bank corporate office headquarters phone number, address and more at CorporateOfficeOwl.com.

Citizens Bank corporate office headquarters information at CorproateOfficeOwl.com

Hours of Operation
Find Citizens Bank hours of operation for locations near you!. You can also find Citizens Bank location phone numbers, driving directions and maps.

Citizens Bank hours of operation at HoursOfOperation.biz

Get immediate support for your Citizens Bank questions from HelpOwl.com.

Receive immediate support for Citizens Bank at HelpOwl.com

View thousands of Citizens Bank user reviews and customer ratings available at ReviewOwl.com.

Citizens Bank reviews and ratings at ReviewOwl.com

Citizens Bank Recognized for Industry-Leading Customer Satisfaction in Mobile ...
For more information about Citizens Bank, visit citizensbank.com or call the bank's 24/7 customer service center at 1-800-922-9999. The bank also is active on Facebook and Twitter. Android? is a trademark of Google Inc. Google Play is a trademark of ...
9 Tips for Summer Travel Savings from Citizens Bank, Cumberland Farms
For more information about Citizens Bank and to see other tools that can help you reach your financial goals, visit citizensbank.com or call the bank's 24/7 customer service line at 1-800-922-9999. About Citizens Bank Citizens Bank is a division of RBS ...
Citizens Bank at Wayland Town Center to hold grand opening
Before and after banking hours, customers continue to have access to consult with a banker using the 24/7 customer service telephone or make deposits, withdrawals and transfers using the ATM. The branch is open Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., ...