Garmin Customer Service

Garmin customer service is ranked #246 out of the 724 companies that have a CustomerServiceScoreboard.com rating with an overall score of 41.91 out of a possible 200 based upon 428 ratings. This score rates Garmin customer service and customer support as Disappointing.

• Viewing Garmin customer service complaints
  • I am astonished by just how incredibly bad their 'customer service' is. It almost defies words.
    I've been trying to get my 'lifetime maps' honored for 3 years now and only 2 days ago it was raised to 'Tier 2' support (whatever that means).
    Their response - "We'll give you a one-time update".
    Crazy, but think I'm going to need to employ a layer to get it resolved!

Appalled 7/23/14 4:11PM
  • I Have Never Ever Used Such Useless Software In All Of My Life! Basecamp (for Want Of A Better Description) Is Crap!!! Do You Actually Use Your Product? When You Want To Do Something That Isn't Pre-designated By You Everything Becomes A Mine Field Of 'how Am I Sppoded To Do That?' 'why Doesn't The Software Allow Me To Do That?', 'do The People That Make These Things Exist In A Lab?' You Are Nothing More Than Mindless Moneymakers That Have No Interest In The Way That People Would Like To Function On Their Own. Every Corner Of The Design Of Any Unit Is Made To Make More Money!!! I Don't Want To Give You Any More Money ...this Bloody Thing Cost A Fortune To Begin With!!!and Make A Section On Your Website That Allow People To Complain To You About How Crap The Whole Situation Is!! I Will Never Buy Garmin Again And Will Discourage Anyone That May Consider Buying From You. In Fact I'm Driven To Write An Article That I Will Send To As Many Publications As Possible To Make Myself Heard!!! I Know There Are Many More People Extremely Unhappy With You. Do Something About Yourselves!!!!! I Am So Angry I Can Bearly Type This Message Without Banging The Keys On The Keyboard!!!!!!!!!! You Really Are Dumb American Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAN 7/13/14 1:53PM
  • I am still waiting for a reply to my e-mail from customer support some 7 days after my question. I have abandoned my proposed purchases of Garmin products as a result. Terrible

gorsebob 6/24/14 11:31AM
  • rubbish
    they ignore emails, you have to call them to chase them up.
    they couldn't care less

hunty199 6/23/14 1:38AM
  • Garmin UK very unhelpful.

Spent 40 mins on hold yesterday and unable to speak to anyone. Got through this morning and explained my problem.

Bought an Edge 305 which failed after less than 2 years. They replaced it for £30, but this one failed within a year. Garmin just told me it only had 3 months warranty and that they would not be able to replace, even if I offered to contribute. Also told me that if I wanted to complain in writing my letter would go to the same Dept and that the answer would be the same.
    Basically, they are saying throw it in the bin after 1 year and buy another one.
    A very expensive disposable product.
    Very poor indeed.

Alastair 6/11/14 2:18AM
  • just purchased a garmin 2598 and just found out I have to pay for an owners manual!!! How chintzy is that! I can't even view it online. Very CHEAP of that company. Would never buy another one!!
    6-10-14

Anonymous 6/10/14 9:08PM
  • The software update system doesn't work. their support pages are rubbish and when you ring you get music for 5 mins before you are cut off!

NEVER NEVER will I buy a garmin product ever again. CRAP COMPANY!

Anonymous 5/28/14 2:49AM
  • Garmin products are amazing pieces of electronic candy. They look wonderful and feel great. They'd be even more amazing if they worked I own the Garmin 910 XT and 510 bike computer. Speeds are wildly erratic on both. Neither will reliably download data to the connect.garmin website, making them pretty useless. But the stuff is also downright dangerous. I own a 796 for flying. This freezes in flight, so may may think you are free of terrain..when you are not and in great danger of crashing. Even worse is the new G600. I just spent over $100k. It cannot track a simple ILS course and feeds erroneous info into my AP. In short dangerous and incredibly unreliable in my experience.

dr bob 5/22/14 8:31PM
  • Just purchased a Nuvi2555LMT. I have owned Garmin's for as long as I can remember. The current model is to replace the one stolen from inside of my car in front of my house, my fault, forgot to secure it. Was not worried as the Garmin that was stolen had a security pin code that I had put on it when I bought it, bad guys went from my car tot he trash I am sure, all my favorite places were safe, my moms house, our kids house, etc. Sad to say I am now looking for a new GPS provider. When I received my newest one I went straight for the security feature, imagine my surprise when I could not find it. I just got off the phone with Garmin, its no longer a feature, hasn't been since 2010 I was told. They had to many complaints from folks that were NOT the original purchasers saying that they had bought off the internet or a yard sale and that they were locked out...DUH..because they were probably stolen...anyone know any GPS providers that have a security feature?

Anonymous 5/22/14 10:39AM
  • I purchased a Nuvi 50 LM april 2013. The box states that I need a Mac running 10.5.8 software. My Mac is running 10.6.8. I went to update the maps today just over a year past the purchase date and the update site says I need 10.7.0 software. I called tech support who tried to update my maps via a different method only to find out my nuvi doesn't have enough space for the new maps. I purchased this for the lifetime map updates and I can't get one. Garmin will never see a dime of my money again and I am letting everyone I can about this Rip-Off company!!!!

neverbuygarmin 5/20/14 3:46PM
  • Even with the correct country code I could not get through to the head office

N/A 5/3/14 12:19PM
  • Reported two (very different) malfunction.
    Got exactly same pre-formatted reply message which doesn't make sense.

Anonymous 4/24/14 12:41PM
  • It is not possible to send an email or contact them. I have a 610 Forerunner that after 18 months has had a complete failure due to sweat getting into the mechanism, and I'm told that it is now my problem. For a watch of that value, one would expect it to last a good few years, and also the seal to be at least sweat resistant.

Trihard 4/16/14 12:06AM
  • I recently tried to get an updated map for my Garmin device. After I paid for it, I attempted to download it, and was told that the download was complete. However, once I took it back to the car and tried to use it, I realized that in fact the download did not work. There was no information during the download that it was unsuccessful, rather, I got an message that it was complete.
    The nest day I called Garmin customer support and found out that I had to buy a new SD card for an additional $20.00 because THEY WERE SELLING AN UPGRADE THAT WOULD NOT FIT ON THE SD CARD THAT ORIGINALLY CAME WITH THE UNIT, AND DIDN'T BOTHER TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THERE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM WHEN I PURCHASED THE UPGRADE.

Maybe younger people are used to this kind of treatment, because you have never experienced an America where honesty and values matter. Long story short, I found a Tom Tom unit with better functionality, and unlimited map downloads for only $12 more than what Garmin would have cost me for a single map upgrade, so I bought it and cancelled my Garmin map upgrade.

Not even corporate will call me back, so the least I could do is attempt to forewarn those of you that Garmin is on a Microsoft path of self-destruction. Don't do business with them!

ernesttbass 4/6/14 5:39PM
  • I am writing this communication as a result of some of the worse customer service I have ever encountered

Please note that I am a loyal user of Garmin Auto GPS and Running Watches over many years

On Monday, I called into Customer Support and ordered a Garmin 620 with HRM with the intention of shipping back for credit my Garmin 610 watch which has developed rust on the underneath side

The rep explained that the Garmin 620 would ship priority and I would have it Wednesday, April 2nd

The RMA but I never received the e-mail confirmation of the order being placed as the Rep had indicated it would arrive to me the Wednesday, April 2nd

On Tuesday, April 1st I contacted Garmin Tech Support to inquire about the confirmation of my Garmin 620 and the rep indicated that Garmin was out of stock and that the Garmin 620 would not ship until they received by Garmin 610 because of the way the order was set up

At that point I cancelled the order and received e-mail confirmation (please see attached pdf)

Today, I received an e-mail indicating that the Garmin 620 had shipped

I called once more into Garmin Tech Support and was told that the order had been shipped and my debit card had been charged for the entire amount

Now I have received a confirmation that I will need to return my Garmin 620 for what appears to be a partial refund and I have to wait for my Debit Card to receive a credit for an Order that was Never to Ship and Now Has

At this point I will never purchase another device directly from Garmin for the incompetent Tech Support that your Company has exhibited

Steve Simpson 4/5/14 2:43AM

The RMA was but I never received the e-mail confirmation of the order being placed as the Rep had indicated it would arrive to me the Wednesday, April 2nd

At that point I cancelled the order and received e-mail confirmation

Today, I received an e-mail indicating that the Garmin 620 had shipped on RMA67610623

Steve Simpson 4/5/14 2:39AM
  • Just bought a nuvi3598. It has no set up instructions, so after 90 minutes of experimentation I have achieved an internet connection. It is now going through a 2 hour download and update over 20Mb link to get it working. Disappointing for a brand new device, perhaps Garmin could have loaded some software in the factory? So far very unimpressed!

Jon 4/4/14 2:52PM
  • Tried to reach Garmin over the course of a week, wait times always longer than 20 minutes. Waited for half an hour once before giving up. Customer service non existent.

Moke 4/4/14 1:52PM
  • just bought a new garmin nevi 2557 LMT....don't like it much so far. No favorites feature- am trying to transfer some of the info from my old garmin like addresses of folks in calif ( i am in oregon) and it won't late me save them...any advice?

Anonymous 4/3/14 5:35PM
  • I am unable to update my Garman can navigator and the tech support is useless! Whats more I am totally unable to speak to any manager or anyone who can insist I get the correct help.

me 4/2/14 8:46PM
  • After upgrade of my GPS NUVI 2598 LMT-D to firmware 4.20 the unit became unstable and freezes every time. I noticed that without the tmc receiver the gps works properly. I think this is a bug. I contacted the Garmin France's after sales service but their reliability leaves me perplexed. I trust Garmin for 10 years. I hope I am not mistaken.

Anonymous 4/1/14 8:22AM
  • They are absolutely the worst company! DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS EVER. YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!! They stop working after about 9 months and customer service is by far the worst of any company.

hategarmin 3/31/14 2:28PM
  • First of all, the nuvi 2557 LMT is the first auto GPS device I have ever owned. I bought it after reading many on line revues. It has met all my expectations and am satisfied with it as it does every thing I hoped. BUT, as I tried to get an operators manual, I found out that Garmin did not offer one, even after I registered it. I found a source from an online search. Later, I had a problem with the screen shutting down and then coming back on for a while before shutting down again. A request to customer service resulting in an email reply that they would get back in three working days, A week later I am still waiting. Another internet search (U TUBE) showed me how to re-boot it to original settings and it is now operating. THE BOTTOM LINE is do not expect Garmin to provide any customer support if you decide to buy one...

Jimmy 3/13/14 6:23PM
  • Slow responses to emails (a week can go by each time) and often asking to try things that I have already mentioned that I did try which makes the email pointless. Reply to that email stating so and another week would go by before another pointless email would come in.

Months can go by with pointless exchanges like this and the issue never gets resolved.

Blimp 3/10/14 6:24PM
  • Abominable customer service--endless delays in reaching a human being; paid for a replacement for a Nuvi that would not update and it was only 2 years old; promised a replacement within 10-15 days. It has been a month, and I'm told the GPS I PAID FOR ! hasn't even shipped yet. How this company stays in business is beyond me.

Travelon 3/4/14 7:02PM
  • Viewing positive Garmin customer service ratings
  • I have had my Garmin 1300LM for several years. At one point I couldn't get the maps to update so I called support. They walked me through the whole process and I successfully updated my maps. Recently I tried to update maps and didn't have enough memory so I had to by an 8 gig san disk. Couldn't get Garmin to recognize it. Again I called Tech support and they walked me through the process. Everything is working great! Couldn't be happier with the Garmin and the support I have received over the years. I am in my middle 70's and the support personal were very, very patient with me.

Anonymous 3/27/14 10:16AM
  • Emailed a question and received the answer I needed quickly.

Anonymous 8/6/13 5:05AM
  • You wont believe this but on July 19th 2013, a Garmin representative contacted me by telephone (a real person in a real conversation) and they paid for the call.
    For the first time during this adventure, i felt someone from Garmin was interested.
    I still stand firm on my opinion of Garmin and their Customer Service however this gent was pleasant.
    Cheers

Gordon2020 7/19/13 8:02PM
  • Garmin one of the best customer services i have had to deal with.
    I have used them a number of times and have offered solutions and change my device within 5days of fault.

Anonymous 6/8/13 1:26AM
  • I just got off with The Garmin Team here in Austraila and their service was top notch.

I'm a very happy customer and they help me with my problem and replace the unit.

I give Anna and Rodney 10 out of 10

Burt 5/30/13 9:22PM
  • I have received the most excellent care from Garmin KZN when I handed in a Garmin navigator to have its screen fixed. Such a professinal team and so helpful and now a repaired GPS!

The number of the center is

Thanks

Kim

KimJ 4/22/13 8:23AM
  • My Garmin Oregon 400T malfunctioned. An email to Garmin support was quickly responded to by Kris Ta in their customer support unit after hours. The next morning I followed up with support and also received a follow up call from Kris. The same day the unit was in the mail for a replacement unit. I am very pleased with the excellent customer service.

chucky-chief 4/11/13 7:06PM
  • I called Garmin service for help updating my 1450. I was helped through the entire procedure by Emily in Kansas City and can say I don't think I have ever been treated with more patience and knowledge of what to do. She was easy to understand and took the time to walk me through the procedure. Garmin should be happy they have and employee this good at her job. She even asked after finishing if there was anything else whe could help with. I downloaded the new map and am quite happy with the product.

Anonymous 1/2/13 3:04PM
  • I like the fact that when you call Garmin you speak to an American in America.

When was the last time that you called for support with any other company and spoke to am American?

Bob Mueller 11/28/12 2:12PM
  • Due to a failure of my 1st Garmin 3790LMT, Garmin exchanged the unit. Once the new unit arrived, it shows that it is a LMT, however I was unable to apply map updates. The new unit also included Europe, while the original did not. I called support, waited 30 min to speak to someone and I asked why the delay. There was an updated released 3 days ago, and whenever that happens, the way can be long. Ok, so here is what the rep did once I explained what was up. 1st removed the old unit. 2nd applied the Lifetime Map and Traffic (LMT) to the new unit. 3rd had me log back in and see if I could get the lifetime updater to say that the unit could be updated. It did. All is well.

ericthered44 8/24/12 10:57AM
  • I don't know why everyone is having problems with Garmin customer service. My GPS Map 276C is 8 years old and still working. On numerous occasions, I have called Garmin for technical assistance. Sometimes I get right thru; other times I have to wait a while. But every time I have call with a problem, the technician has been polite and, above all, helpful enough to solve my problem. I hope it continues.

Jack 7/9/12 5:59PM
  • Unbelieveable! Got through in under a minute. Rep set up an exchange. Now let see how long that takes.

tom22222 6/28/12 8:41AM
  • I received a Garmin for a christmas present. I was dissapointed with the quality of the product. The product appears to have some design flaws that casued the band to tear.
    However, my customer experience with Garmin was nothing but outstanding. The entire process to getting my watch replaced was above my expectations.

Thanks Garmin.

Murph 3/7/12 8:47AM
  • My Garmin Nuvi 550 had a warrantee issue with the battery connection. We contacted Garmin by phone, and they connected us with Ray-Tech in Quebec. We shipped the unit on a Monday PM by expedited post and a replacement unit was back in our hands by Friday. That is remarkable service considering that the unit has travelled back and forth 8,000km each way across the county.

Nuvi 550 3/4/12 9:11AM
  • And why do you not call 800-800-1020?
    Garmin supports all its units, even long after the warranty has expired with free online (e-mail) and free phone support.
    If you drop something, then it's your own fault. I have used Garmin units for years, and a 2 inch drop has not even put a scratch on any of them.
    I read a lot of stuff in forums like this one, and I think it is time you take responsibility, starting with honesty.
    So, shut up, if you screwed the device up, and pay up. Unless you're not man/woman enough to admit your wrong doing. Then keep being a complainer, like those in the stores at customer service counters, who believe if they complain long and loud enough they get a freebie.
    If a device is defective, call them up, send them an e-mail. I have yet to encounter an unfriendly agent, that is unwilling to help. That does not mean they will give you a new unit if you dropped it. That is not helping, that is enabling - what we try to avoid with our kids, right?
    Go to TomTom, Magellan, or any other company, and see how loong they support their devices with free online and phone support. Apple - ranked #1 supposedly - stops supporting any unit that is over 5 years old with repairs; and there is no free phone or e-mail support for a computer from them that is out of warranty (with AppleCare up to 3 years). Garmin supports my Garmin GPS III. You can check when that thing came out.

unknown 2/5/12 6:30PM
  • Having previously posted an unhappy experience I am happy to have to post an excellent experience. I used the email system and got help from associate Aaron S who was very patient in telling me the troubleshooting steps (not covered in the manual, by the way) and then when it was apparent that the factory had to get involved told me how to go about it. Upshot was that the factory replaced the unit (although probably out of warranty).

Totally different from my past experiences with Garmin.

Peter 1/18/12 9:39AM
  • I purchased a Garmin GPS from Target in Charlottesville, VA several mos ago. I did not save my receipt because I have heard great things about your product and never thought I'd need it. My Mom was put in Westminster Canterbury Nursing Home and needed to know how to get there in Lynchburg, VA. So I bought a Garmin UPS and loved it. It has come in use maybe 3-4 times that I needed it. I was invited to my neices house for Thanksgiving and keyed her address in on 11/23/11 and it worked fine. On Thanksgiving morning when leaving I plugged the car charger up to it and the GPS would not come on at all with or without the charger. All I want from Santa for Christmas is another Garmin GPS. It is hard to tell where I might need to go next. I sure hope you can help me.

Karen

Merry Christmas 12/11/11 10:38AM
  • On an internet search for help, I got "Just Answer" but they wanted $30 to give me any help. I bailed out of that rip-off and then hit this site that had the Garmin 800-800-1020 number. I called that, got a very nice lady immediately, and she spent 45 minutes helping me with my problem. I ended up getting an RMA number for an exchange of hardware. She even determined the manufacturing date from the serial number and gave me coverage under the one-year warrantee even though the Auto GPS was not registered. After reading so many complaints about Garmin I was prepared for the worst; instead I got the best. Their service, patience, and knowledge was comparable with the best I have ever experienced (i.e., Apple). I never found that 800-800-1020 support number on the Garmin site, but it sure worked for me. Maybe Garmin is actually getting better. BTW, I called first thing in the morning.

Anonymous 10/1/11 12:21AM
  • I was shocked when I sought technical support on line for my Garmin Nuvi and got JustAnswer. It would cost me $38. to help me fix my problem. I called 800-800-1020 (after pick up, dial 1 to speak to a live person). I got right to a customer service associate and she fixed my problem immediately. I am satisfied with the service I received on the phone - but I was really mad when I got JustAnswer. ET

ET 9/29/11 1:37PM
  • Call answered quickly. Proposed solution worked fine.

Anonymous 7/21/11 7:57AM
  • I must have contacted a different company. I have never had anything less than excellent service whenever I have called Garmin Tech for service issues.The other day Dezirae Reberry Assoc # 6949 settled my problem in a manner that was above and beyond what I thought they might do.

I have always felt their customer service was some of the best I have ever experienced.

Billk 7/2/11 12:53AM
  • I was having trouble updating the map on my automotive gps. I found the technician I spoke to be very patient, courteous, and helpful. My problem was solved in less than three minutes.

cattlemanbuck 6/24/11 3:11PM
  • just called customer service for an issue with my forerunner 310 xt and they were first class. phone got picked up right away, they were not able to solve my issue on the phone but they did tell me how to reset the watch, load new software and if it doesnt work they will return it with no issues. not sure why anybody is saying they dont have good service or products, seems great to me.

skmdr 4/5/11 8:46AM
  • I have recently contacted customer service for downloading a map update. I purchased lifetime maps and traffic, and I needed assistance activating the lifetime maps and I needed some help understanding how to use various features and the traffic screen. The customer service rep was courteous and knowledgeable. I waited less than a minute to be connected, and the rep walked me thru the activation process for my lifetime maps and the download. The only problem I have had with the Garmin 1390, is in areas where I know the route, the unit suggest a longer more congested route. This issue makes me a bit less confident in garmin's map directions when I'm in areas I'm not familiar with.

Big Al from Jersey 2/4/11 10:44AM
  • Called customer service since the charger for my 310XT just fell apart (lousy spring I guess) after having it for only 9 months and they are sending a replacement charger, had no problem and got through right away. Friend had similar experience with great customer service. Hope things are better with Garmin and they are paying attention to these posts.

9 run run 1/20/11 10:54AM

Check out these popular comparisons of Garmin customer service versus other companies:
Garmin vs. Apple
Garmin vs. Nextar
Garmin vs. Nike
Garmin vs. Timex
Garmin vs. TomTom
Authorized representatives of Garmin can sign up to reply to any of the comments found on this page.

Customer Support
800-800-1020
Garmin customer service phone number including steps to reach representatives, hours of operation, customer support links and more from ContactHelp.com.

Complete Garmin customer service phone numbers and contact information at ContactHelp.com

Locate the Garmin corporate office headquarters phone number, address and more at CorporateOfficeOwl.com.

Garmin corporate office headquarters information at CorproateOfficeOwl.com

Get immediate support for your Garmin questions from HelpOwl.com.

Receive immediate support for Garmin at HelpOwl.com

View thousands of Garmin user reviews and customer ratings available at ReviewOwl.com.

Garmin reviews and ratings at ReviewOwl.com

Garmin Manuals
Find free Garmin manuals and user guides available at ManualOwl.com.

Free Garmin manuals and user guides at ManualOwl.com

KANA Presents Garmin as Call Center Week 2013 Customer Keynote Speaker
LAS VEGAS, NV--(Marketwired - Jun 11, 2013) - call center WEEK -- KANA Software, Inc., a global leader in customer service solutions used by more than 900 organizations worldwide, today announced KANA customer Erica Tyler, Program Manager, ...
Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor Review: Limited But Good
customer service: This is an often overlooked aspect of a product, but serious buyers often swear by looking into customer service before buying a product. Poor customer service can mean all sorts of things, from delayed or absent responses, to a ...
Garmin FR70: Heart Rate Monitor Review
An email I sent to customer service went unanswered, but a call to the helpline solved the problem promptly. Another frustration with the Garmin FR70 is that it can be unclear what, exactly, you're buying. Some retailers bundle the watch and heart-rate ...