Reader's Digest Customer Service

Reader's Digest customer service is ranked #384 out of the 724 companies that have a CustomerServiceScoreboard.com rating with an overall score of 33.41 out of a possible 200 based upon 559 ratings. This score rates Reader's Digest customer service and customer support as Disappointing.

• Viewing Reader's Digest customer service complaints
  • Hello at Reader's Digest.

My wife and I are avid readers of Readers Digest Magazine; we also have over time purchased many, many Book and DVD's and CD's.
    This is not an idol email.
    We were excited to read the offer NEW ZEALAND from ABOVE, however I have noticed a mistake. The bottom picture on the inside full spread page, READS Lake Wakaitipu, Queentowns, SHOULD READ - QUEENSTOWN.
    Now, for sharing this little error, on such a fabulous document, ia surely worth a copy of the DVD. I'll leave it to your generosity. By the way, this is shared between you and me in confidence. Very best regards Douglas Hamilton Australia.
    Address: 'Lulworth Cottage', 17 Pile Street, EXETER NSW 2579 AUSTRALIA

Anonymous 2/27/14 8:56PM
  • I contacted to cancel my account and subscribtion I sent a email but I am still getting emails and parcels please fix
    Im am getting flooded with txt messages and emails not happy

mike 1/31/14 3:44PM
  • Today, received a 'Seriously Overdue Account' to pay S$99.00 RD magazine subscription, in spite of informing RD via their self-addressed envelopes, that I was cancelling my subscription with immediate effect 4 December 2013. Later received a Reminder of 'Overdue Account' from Ms. Alicia Ng. Again, I sent a Registered Mail to RD with attached documents of my Cancellation. RD seems to ignore all the documents I sent to inform of the Cancellation of the Magazine Subscription, but prefer to continue to 'harass' for payment. Today, I received a Reminder of 'Seriously Overdue Account' from the Finance Director, What is happening to Reader's Digest's Customer Service Standard, especially RD showing the face of Ser-Ing Ting smiling with the Caption: "We care about you!" REALLY???

Anonymous 1/28/14 6:18PM
  • I did order a book in Sept. and paid for it in Sept. I sent RD a copy of the cancelled check, which did not impress the billing dept. I just received another bill. What gives??????????

Petra 1/23/14 1:01PM
  • I am sick of receiving magazines from you I have tried sending them back but to no avail tried ringing you but get put on hold for 15min.which is not good enough. Now you have the nerve to send me a final notice for $37.98 I don,t think so PLEASE I don,t owe you anything and how dare you send me a demand letter

Gloria 1/14/14 7:42PM
  • My Mom passed in April of this year, I am the Executrix,and part of that responsibility is cancelling subscriptions and requesting refunds. I was SO misled by customer support, that putting the refund on a card rather than sending a check was much more convenient for me. Balderdash! I received the card today - for a FIVE dollar refund, and here's what I had to do to get the FIVE dollars into the estate: Go on the bank issuers website, create an account complete with password and three security questions, try to figure out how to get this FIVE dollars to the estate account; had to call banks customer service which said I could take the card to any bank to get the refund but it would cost me a FIVE dollar cash advance fee, take it to any store and make a purchase - illegal for executrix to spend money on themselves from estate, or go on newly created account and request a transfer for only a 50 cent fee and I would receive it in 3 - 5 business days. EASIER for ME? Took me 45 minutes to figure out how to get this money into the estate account AND cost the estate a fee. I will tell anyone who wants to listen to me what Readers Digest customer support put me through today, and I will NEVER do business with the magazine again!

Makes me so upset and sad.

Anonymous 12/23/13 4:58PM
  • I paid for a gift subscription for my sister-in-law back in November and now I am getting additional renewal notices!! Knock it off....we get enough junk mail. I am also disappointed that the RD is only about half as thick as it used to be and has way too much advertising...that's why I've dropped all my subscriptions...I hate paying for 75% ads....

Anonymous 12/9/13 1:50PM
  • I am getting renewal letters already, when I renewed in July ( it's Nov. now) Also, you want $24.95, and I could renew online for only $15.00. I really resent be harassed so often about renewing and for varying prices too.

Sharon 12/4/13 7:34PM
  • My experience today 16/11/2013 is absolutely appalling. I spoke to one of your staff online to cancel a subscription, giving him my full details including the customer reference number on the letter I received this morning plus my account number . Repeatedly he asked ,u postcode BN3 5AF then asked me if I had another postcode, then my email address and kept telling me there was no record of me having an account. All I wanted to do was to cancel after I had received the first copy and found due to sight problems the printing was too difficult for me to read.

Anonymous 11/16/13 9:27AM
  • I have received a postal warning me that I must call to cancel a subscription. I have called twice on this newly printed information. I have don twice.. Twice a voice says the site is not functional. use the Internet. What if I didn't have access to the Internet? What kind of a spurious operation is this??

Now I have to puzzle out a visual test that is commonly referred to as a psychological trick test...do you see white or black information? Disgusting.

Anonymous 10/28/13 3:31PM
  • My renewal bill was for $17.98, but said if I renewed on their website I would save $5, which would make it $12.98. There are a lot of websites selling RD for $15, but the actual RD website had no place to choose "renew", only new orders.

Anonymous 10/17/13 2:28PM
  • received your notice (will you continue your gift for: Aubrey-Beth Elrod My renewal check was dated 8/24/13 in the amount of $49.96 for their sub. as well as Kay&Don Campany - I TRUST YOU TO renew both. Thank you, Edna C Elrod

Anonymous 9/24/13 8:45PM
  • I am also receiving books I never ordered and getting bill after bill after bill. Why should I pay any bill if I never ordered them?? I started photocoying bills and when they send overdue notice the prices do not even match. I think they are charging more than once. Mind Stretchers was canceled and still receiving them with more than one bill. I hope my lawyer will not need to get involved but I may have no other choice. I hope everyone is contacting the Better Business Bureau - they need to get involved.

Disgustful 8/4/13 8:58PM
  • In the latest Readers Digest package there is a card for premier prize draw entry ticket for destination nadi-fiji to go to This web address does not contain the details. Could you please let me know where this competition is. This problem is a regular one. Thanks. John Youman

Anonymous 7/26/13 11:58PM
  • Dear Readers Digest. I Have Just Recieved A Billing Statement From You. I Do Not Even Know What This Magazine Is, For You Did Not State It. I Did Not Order Anything From You! Please Look Into This Matter, And Clar Out This Order, And Claer Out This Account. Please This Is Not The First Time I Have This Problem With You!also I Recieved Another Bill For A Cookbook Named 5-10-15 Cookbook. This Book Was Mailed Back To You Right Sway. I Did Not Enen Open The Box, Put Return To Sender, And Handed It To My Postal Worker. Please Take Care Of This, Yet Another Problen, And Claear Out This Account! Thank You! Christine. I Do Not Want Any More Bills Sent To Me!

Anonymous 7/6/13 6:36AM
  • readers digest got my credit card # I have 10 charges for 24.95 for a mag I did not order. since when does readers digest cost $250. a year even if I did order it which I did not , I have issues with them in the past . I tried to order large print never got it after many phone calls the last one showed up in large print since than I have sworn off readers.my credit card takes off the charges,then they add more.now this is criminal.

tamchan 7/6/13 3:55AM
  • I am going to contact the attorney general about this problem, as I see by the blog, that other people are experiencing the same thing. Books being sent that were not ordered, magazines that were paid for getting canceled, no phone # to contact the delivery of these unwanted unsolicited items, and the corporate phone # mailbox is full! I advise everyone that is unhappy with them, to do likewise, as well as the BBB (Better Business Bureau).

Donna 6/24/13 9:18AM
  • I just received a phone call from Readers Digest requesting to speak to a family member who died three years ago. When I told the caller that the person had died, she simply hung-up the phone. Rude!! When I tried to return the call, all I received was a no-call recording.

mike 6/4/13 7:29AM
  • I received a free copy of your magazine a couple of weeks ago,and a few days later I recieved my first subscription along with a bill.I did not Order this subscription.so please DO NOT send me any more copies.

Anonymous 5/11/13 8:51AM
  • I returned a book to Readers Digest and am now being billed for it. They have sent me three different letters asking for payment and I have answered each one with no response to me except to send another bill. They want me to pay $30.93 for this ONE book WHICH I RETURNED. I am asking and wondering about their record keeping and handling of returns.

wanda h black 4/30/13 8:04AM
  • I canceled a subscription that my father had for many many years due to his death. He was a loyal customer since 1960. RD NEVER sent a refund as they claimed (in a chase bank card??). After 3 tries and different responses from rep's, I wrote the legal department.
    Very poor customer service!

Anonymous 4/16/13 3:34PM
  • Hi,

This happened to me also! My aunt bought me a 1-year-subscription. They sent me recently a "past due bill". I mean, it was clearly 1 year agreement wtf!

Is there anything we can do?

Thanx,
    Chris

chrisupi007 4/15/13 5:44PM
  • I am pissed off. I received a(package) magazine from you and I mailed itback to you the following day. Now you have the nerve to send me a bill for $44.50. Are you crazy? I am not working and I DO NOT WANT YOUR MAGAZINE. The account no# is

Anonymous 4/13/13 6:02PM
  • In January 2013 i placed order for a crocodile leather bag for ladies. Guess what? They sent me a a man's wallet. This was not what I wanted and proceeded to inform customer service by email. No answer, Subsequently, for the net few month they sent reminders that my payment was overdue. Obviously, I don't intend to pay for something which I didn't order. With each reminder, i wrote a letter explaining my position, together with copies of my previous complaints to them. Utter silence!
    Now they threaten that the overdue payment has been passed to collection agency.

What a horrible company with absolutely no customer service in mind. It is just like you are talking to the wall. This is Reader's Digest, so called trusted brand. My foot. Don't expect me to pay for the unwanted item. As it is, the wallet is sitting in its box, waiting for them to take back. A very bad experience, doubt I will ever buy for them again.

Anonymous 4/12/13 2:57AM
  • I have been sending magazines back to readers digest stating I did not order . They keep sending me more magazines which continuosly keep coming. I have emaiked them and been ignored. I cant find a number to ring them and now its in debt recovery. Poor service

wendy 3/27/13 5:59PM
  • Viewing positive Reader's Digest customer service ratings
  • I always enjoy the Readers Digest Select books because I know I won't be left feeling sad, or whatever negative feelings some books leave me with. Thanks,

Marilyn O'Reilley Thiessen

OReilley 11/17/13 11:26AM
  • To cancel the Reader's Digest book club, I did the following:

1) 1-800-310-3261
    2) To avoid computers and long rerouting menus, dial 0 when prompted to speak. Dial 0 again. Keep dialing 0 when prompted until the man finally says "I'm having trouble understanding you. Let me connect you to a representative."
    3) Congratulations! You have been put on the real human waitlist. From here, you will listen to muzak until someone picks up. They will take your name and zip and then ask why you are calling. Then, they will reroute you to another human.
    4) More muzak, more waiting, and finally another person. This one will be able to cancel the subscription for you. Success!

The entire experience took me about 5 minutes.

Anonymous 9/19/12 1:11PM
  • Since last 40 years I have been a devoted supporter of Reader's Digest Articles such of which are not found so strategically published through any other source of its kind.

Therefore, I've established a sort of deep belief on Reader's Digest that it may accept my reviews and would publish it if found publishable and help me get paid for that what I may deserve to receive as generous money.

Thanking you once again, in the meanwhile, I remain,

Yours truly

ShamsACI

ShamsACI 5/4/12 7:47AM
  • I also received a RD mag. on April 11. Went to the comp. to look up phone # to call them and ask them why I'm getting this, when I never ordered it. Read alot of the post's on here and was getting angry also. Made the call, got through. Was told I'm getting this free through another mag I had orderd ( Bird's and Blooms) Asked if I was going to be billed for this, she said NO. So I'm happy for now, unless I later get a bill.

Scales48 4/12/12 8:01AM
  • I am unable to find your customer service site therefore am unable to cancel three product orders. A memo that has been posted to this effect includes my customer number and product codes.
    Customer account number 00077544278
    Items cancelled
    0758177 Agatha Christie Mysteries - DVDS
    0758588 Bless me Father - DVDS
    0413796 Nature's Medicines - book

A.Y.Fitzmaurice

18.12.2011

Anonymous 12/17/11 11:09AM
  • I am very satisfied with your suport groups quick and efficient handling of what I felt was a big problem for me. I am old and very hard of hearing. The two different ladies I spoke with both had foreign accents and I know it was as hard for them as it was for me. They hung in there until they gor my promlem solved.

Anonymous 10/31/11 1:46PM
  • Thank you for helping solve the double payment I made. Mark was quick, polite and a huge help. THANKS! Angie T.

Anonymous 10/25/11 7:39AM
  • I don't know why everyone is complaining I just got of the Phone with a rep at customer service and she was very helpfull and answered all my questions.
    She was able to solve all my issues.
    She was also very nice and helpfull.

Anonymous 10/15/11 10:10AM
  • I worried when I saw all the critical messages entered here, but I called the 800 number and got immediate and outstanding service from the service rep, "Lef".

My wife received 2 promotional book offers in response to entering the RD Prize contest. We did not attach the tag to the submission to request either offer.

Lef looked up our account and deleted both offers so we owe nothing and will not receive any further invoices.

He told us to write "Refused - return to Sender" on the unopened book, and to keep the free book from the other offer.

Bob Riekert 8/3/11 11:38AM
  • Readers Digest sent me a Book that I ddn,t order. I did not open the box, and took it to the Post Office, and they returned it to you. I do not want to order the book. I will not pay for something that I did not order or want account #00239275373 Janice Mullins 11035 Blair Street Holland, MI 49424

Anonymous 7/30/11 3:48PM
  • I am a customer of r/digest since 2006 & have bought books,jewelleries,cd's etc.Recently I ordered a multi purpose rug,which was not as I expected & I returned it back and am still getting repeated reminder notices to pay the bill of $64.96 even though I have e-mailed & replied them with a note explaining about the return.Not happy with the service anymore.

palmy 7/22/11 6:02PM
  • why is it so hard to cancel,but so esay to get i want to pay on line but can't get to my account

larryhott 7/7/11 9:23AM
  • I have been buying RD bookks and videos for years, since 1975 to be exact, When a book arrives and I do not wish to have it I just return it to the address given, doesn't cost me anything.

Anonymous 6/21/11 8:11PM
  • was very thankful to readers digest for not having to pay for subscription,they say i ordered but did not recall thank u so much

Anonymous 5/21/11 12:58PM
  • on 4/12/2011 I received a bill from you for account #cro151-2 in the amount of $26.72.
    I had ordered "Mind stretchers" book and "mind stretchers bubble gum. I returned mind stretchers bubble gum to you and kept mind stretchers. It was my understanding that one of the books was a free gift, therefore since I returned one of the books I owe you nothing. Geanne C. Mentzer

Geanne C Mentzer 5/4/11 9:18AM
  • I have had nothing but problems with my RD subscription which I have had for years (I enjoy the magazine immensly but hate the way they operate) Paid for what I thought was my subscription renewal AND gift subscription in 11/10, never received a mag from them. Received another offer this month reducing my subs rate to $10.00!! I had to go on-line to get a phone number and call them to ask what happened to my renewal payment in 11/10 of $49.90, they told me that was just for my "gift renewal" and not my renewal. I told "Iris" that I was going to report them to the Better Business Bureau as the statement I received last year was for both, not just one. I told her that I could not believe the way they did business and get away with it. Iris made an "adjustment" and now my scription is paid for until 2013.

Anonymous 3/24/11 3:15PM
  • I sent RD an email over two weeks ago about their ONE MILLION dollar sweepstakes site. About four days later, I received a reply that several sites were being worked on, and some had been repaired.
    As of today, the ONE MILLION dollar site is still down. It amazes me that companies with all this money can not manage the things that they have for people to use.

wmbrwn05 2/11/11 12:28PM
  • rece ived a book I did not order. Called spoke to Cheiryl who was very helpful and very pleasant. I will receive a lable to mail it back, and will be taken off the mailing list
    thanks Cheiryl
    marilyn

eliza 12/2/10 10:42AM
  • I needed to talk with someone about my subscription and gift subscripton as well and I just want to let you know what a pleasant experieince it was. I dreaded calling as I expected a hassle, instead I got a wonderful lady who spoke slowly, was so helpful I was delighted. She had everything straightend out in just a few minutes. I am sorry I did'nt get her name. Thanks for having such great people working for Reader's Digest!

lucky 11/23/10 11:36AM
  • Today I went to RD.com and found the ph # to call about my RD subscriptions and Earl handled the renewal of my three family mem- bers' and he was great to talk to..very kind & knowledgeable! It was a pleasure to do business with both he and with Leanne, as well. I certainly appreciated their professionalism!

Thank you ....
    Lettie Ann Poe ([email protected])
    Clearwater, FL USA

L A Poe 9/29/10 2:39PM
  • I found that the person who helped me with the cancelation of my prescription to the magazine and also the books was very helpfull and polite. If things improve in the future I may renew.
    Leroy Truit

leroytruit 8/6/10 10:16AM
  • I have always thought Readers Digest was a greatest magazine. Have been reading it for YEARS and YEARS. The only complaint I had was not being able to reach the company by telephone in order to add subscriptions to my gift list!!!

Anonymous 5/10/10 3:47PM
  • I have had wonderful service from Readers'sDigest for many,many years. I have no complaints.

wolfpack 4/18/10 11:59AM
  • Customer Service helped out, or at least they said they would help out, with the books they sent to my elderly father without him ordering.

They said to ignore the bill and they will stop sending the books. 4/14/10

I called 800 463 8820.

Grindstaff 4/14/10 10:30AM
  • Ditto to all the below comments Readers Digest has been a warm and fuzzy part of my life forever so what in the world caused a great magazine to stoop to such a stupid gimmick only to destroy peoples trust? How many new readers did this ploy add and how many dropped their subscriptions?Fire the creator of this idea !

disappointed in ohio 4/12/10 5:17AM
  • I worked with them for almost 2 years, and I am hearing customers to sue the company, but none of them are working. The company are doing the right thing, but tricky, I can assure you guys that they are not placing an order without any authorization. Let me write you some list of orders that you "did not order" but was really ordered:
    1. Your enemy might ordered this as a prank for you!(neighbor, classmate,etc. )
    2. Your close friend, a family member etc., place this order as a surprise but surprisingly the bill was sent to you instead for them.
    3. You respond to one of those PROMOTIONAL OFFERS that you thought was a bill (looks like a bill though)that supposedly you must take for-granted. What ever is your response, the machine will read it INITIALLY as a YES to the order, it's not person will read it.
    4. You go online and apply for a sweepstakes, their is a small box you should check so you will not receive a mag/book or sometime hit a wrong button.
    5. Your previous order, a year or 2 ago was places to an auto-renewal service, before making an order online or thru mail, please read the terms and conditions of the offer.
    6. You call them for some issue (let say changed an address), and you agreed to send you a single copy of the other magazine to browse for FREE, but there is a bill together with it that in case you don't like the magazine, you MUST right CANCEL on it, maybe you forgotten this conditions.
    7. The telemarketers are allowed to use the company's name to sell the product, but it's never the company's practice to call customers to subscribe to there mag/book. It's the telemarketers bill, not the company itself.
    8. And lastly, elderly people obviously made an order, but after they receive the book/mag, they forgotten this (mostly happened ages 90+)

But to know the truth how you made the order, call the customer service hotline (I forgot what it was) and be patient now a days, they have 500+ call waiting on the line.

former_employee 12/15/11 9:11AM

1. Your enemy might ordered this as a prank for you!(neighbor, classmate,etc. )

former_employee 12/12/11 12:05PM

• I worked with RD before for 2 years as a Customer Service and resign just last month, I thought RD is harassing my grandma for her subscription but I finally understand when I started to work with RD. Most subscribers are range from 65 - 105 years old. They doesn't know which is promotions and which is bill, they doesn't know what there doing on the internet and just hitting all of the button that make them win for a sweepstakes and didn't even read terms and conditions, just agreeing for people who called them for a subscription which is not a practice of RD to call anyone in regards with a subscription, something wrong with the post office and blame it to RD, and worst thing, there enemy making pranks and put there information as if they are making the order and then call us that we're making the order. Common, if you cant handle this stuff, just don't subscribe!

asdasd 11/2/11 4:03PM

• This is for Eleanora McClusky who posted on February 1, 2011.

My name is Sylvie and I work for Readerís Digest in Customer Care. I just came across your post and I am sorry that you are getting fraudulent calls about winning money from us.

You are correct, winning something shouldnít cost anything. Readerís Digest does not require any payment from its winners and I can assure you that the calls you have been receiving have nothing to do with us.

For more information about these types of calls, I invite you to read the Fraud Prevention Tips you can find on our website at: http://www.rd.com/customer-care/

Sylvie Robert
    E-Care Coordinator

SylvieRD 2/2/11 5:53AM

Authorized representatives of Reader's Digest can sign up to reply to any of the comments found on this page.

800-304-2807
Reader's Digest customer service phone number including steps to reach representatives, hours of operation, customer support links and more from ContactHelp.com.

Complete Reader's Digest customer service phone numbers and contact information at ContactHelp.com

Locate the Reader's Digest corporate office headquarters phone number, address and more at CorporateOfficeOwl.com.

Reader's Digest corporate office headquarters information at CorproateOfficeOwl.com

Get immediate support for your Reader's Digest questions from HelpOwl.com.

Receive immediate support for Reader's Digest at HelpOwl.com

View thousands of Reader's Digest user reviews and customer ratings available at ReviewOwl.com.

Reader's Digest reviews and ratings at ReviewOwl.com

Reader's Digest Outsources Tech Ops To Indian Firm
Additionally, HCL will provide Reader's Digest with global help-desk services in 14 languages, including English, French, Czech, Spanish, Polish, Finnish, German, and Hungarian. At the same time, HCL will take over management of some of Reader's ...
Mary Berner Out as Reader's Digest Association President/CEO
Pre-RDA, Williams was Affinion Group Executive VP/CFO from 2006-2008 and spent 21 years at AT&T where he rose to CFO of AT&T Networks, AT&T customer service, AT&T Global Networking Technology Service and AT&T Laboratories. He also replaces Berner on ...
Letter: Windfall from Reader's Digest? Not when I checked
I looked up the Reader's Digest website and called the customer service line to inquire about the validity of the “prize.” Given them the names of the ...