Express Scripts Customer Service

Express Scripts customer service is ranked #623 out of the 724 companies that have a CustomerServiceScoreboard.com rating with an overall score of 22.96 out of a possible 200 based upon 1125 ratings. This score rates Express Scripts customer service and customer support as Terrible.

1,103 Negative Comments out of 1,125 Total Comments is 98.04%.

22 Positive Comments out of 1,125 Total Comments is 1.96%.

Terrible Overall Customer Service Rating
  • Viewing Express Scripts customer service complaints
    1 - 25 out of 1,103
  • Express Scripts has almost 1500 BBB complaints File your own and you will most likely get a "courtesy credit" for your incorrect prescription, but they will not admit fault. Maybe if they get up to 15K BBB complaints, they will change their policies???

Anonymous 7/18/14 1:35PM
  • This is trully one of the worse firms to work for and have pharmacy service with. My costs of perscriptions went up from less than $100 to over $300 per month in just 2 years. They do not give you the right to get the 90 day supply directly from your local pharamacy.I am on 12 perscripitions and on SSDI disability. I have health conditions from arthritis to heart disease. I can no longer get or afford any Rx's I need. When I complained, Express Scripts removed me from their client list even though they are my plans RX firm.

I know of over 12,000 retired Texas teachers who no longer have Rx coverage due to Express Scripts. They want those who are not profitable customers to go without medicine and die. In other words, they are committing murder for profit.

Contact CEO George Paz (peace) at 1-800-871-4663 if you are in the same boat. The corporate address in One Express Way St. Louis, Mo. 63121

dyingbecauseofcorpgreed58 7/17/14 6:15PM
  • I have been trying to get a script for weeks and after I spoke to managed care and obtained an auth for my bp meds and verified with customer care it was received and would be shipped, only to find out there was another drug that will be sent. This is not the drug the auth was for and my bp med does not have a generic substitute. I was on the phone for 40 minutes with 4 different reps only to be told to call on Monday that there was no one there that could help. this is a real piss poor way to run a business.

mamac 7/13/14 8:09AM
  • I hate this company so much I can not even summarize it adequately here. The service and benefits management are so bad words alone can not describe the depth of their terribleness. If your insurance plan uses them, have fun getting a prior authorization for everything and spending hours on the phone with them every time you need a refill. EVERY TIME!

Anonymous 7/11/14 4:25PM
  • Wasted 45 minutes of my life trying to get them to process script by mail. After getting transferred 3 times and send through the automated system again I talked to a woman that not only didn't seem to care she expected me to know and be able to spell my Dr. first and last name. After giving here the address phone number and last name of my Dr. she wasn't willing to call or look up his last name. I had to look it up using my phone so that we could proceed. 20 minutes later she still hadn't been able to help me so I asked if there was a less painful way to get this all set up, she said yes by fax. I opted for that. I waited another 10 minutes and the customer rep was still looking for her own fax number. I'd rather jump into a burning building than deal with this crap.

ECW 7/10/14 3:47PM
  • I placed a refill for needles to use with a medication on June 10, 2014. To day, June 29, I have not received the order and I told them I am now reusing needles at this time. Multiple calls to ES: spoke with Express Scripts reps and supervisors. Multiple excuses from ES on why they have not processed the script. My doctor resent the script, I was told twice the order was processing...still no delivery. Dr. called the local pharmacy and I picked up the order at no charge within 1 day on Saturday, 6/28. . I told ES to cancel my order and ES customer rep today replied he would cancel and I will not be charged. (I'll have to verify this at a later time) Express Scripts does not appear competent in administering timely medication refills. I have been refilling this order with ES for more than a year, not sure why now they are unable to process.

Karen 6/29/14 8:09AM
  • I have a very bad experience with Express Scripts. I refilled a prescript on June12, 2014. So far I have not received medicine or any email explanation until I back to their homepage and click to my order situation. They said refill is done but other problem, then ask me to call for detail.
    My prescription is a daily need. When the renew process has problem they should email me and remind me but it never happen.
    Service from Express Scripts is really bad comparing with my previous service from Medco.

Charles 6/20/14 4:42AM
  • Horrible reliability or commitment to any promised delivery of medications. Even if you call and they give you a ship date, they never hit it. The date is given to placate the customer to get them off the phone. I believe they purposely delay sending medications on time to save money. A week or 2 of not having the patient consuming medications pushes out the refill date, thereby, reducing the amount of meds the patient will require over time. Multiply that by the number of patients and it is a very substantial number saving thousands of dollars at patients expense.

bdoucette 6/17/14 6:53AM
  • Waiting for shipment of a prescription for 2 months now.. They keep saying Doctor did not fill out correctly. Had doctor resubmit several times but same result. This med Atelenol, I have been taking for over 15 years and never had a problem before. They are a horrible company with no regard for their customers health. This is a blood pressure med and they have managed to raise mine 20 plus points!

arleened2 6/14/14 8:59AM
  • After reading other Yelps on this awful terrible company, I think ExpScr. has pulled every trick in their book to keep for delivering my wife's meds. The BEST story is when they send a letter to our address of record, stating that they need to verify our address. Apparently Mr. Barney Gallassio, who signs those letters as VP/Member Services, must have a bunch of A$$ CLOWN$ working for him, because we've verified that address DOZENS of times. So far, two months and they've failed to fill her 90-day prescription. Between lies and deferrals to "supervisors" (who, it turns out, is just the poor slob who pulled the short straw that day, and has to pretend to be a supervisor), to people claiming to be in "Administration" (Daniel Pallesen) that don't do what they promise, it's been a total train wreck (and sorry, but that might just be an insult to real trains that wreck). But Express Scripts is likely killing people with their tactics and policies, and if the lack of meds doesn't kill them, the exasperation will.

I Know Better 6/10/14 11:33AM
  • Express script, Cura script and Accredo are HORRIBLE, inefficient, unprofessional, union of irresponsible employees that don't do their jobs and the WORST "Customer service
    They violate privacy laws, pretend they call clients,blame doctor office and client \
    they cause me to miss doctor appointment because they can't manage to send out my medication on time even after speaking to "supervisor" a WEEK before meds had to arrive
    the new name for their organization should be "USELESS EXCUSE script"

rainbowdee 6/9/14 11:48AM
  • Maybe the worst company i have had to do business with. Even words than telephone and cable tv. They make unilateral desicions over riding your Doctor's preferences. Also limits choices to a single manufacturer when multiple choices evsis in the marketplace. Horrible automated answering service where probably some off shore location gules in a recorded question based on your response. You have to through a marathon of prompts to actually get to live representative. Email Responses are selected from a prepared script that most closely matches your detailed inquiry which is totally unsatisfactory.

kevin1157 6/7/14 10:10AM
  • My insurance company makes us go through Express-Scripts. You need a medication when the doctor writes the prescription. The doctor faxed in the prescription. They will not even mail it for a week. Then it will take several days for it to get here in the mail. It will be too late as I am getting surgery and need it now.

I hate Express-Scripts.

Anonymous 6/6/14 12:18PM
  • They sent us a prescription that we never authorized. We immediately called them about it, and they said that we have to pay for it. After a 20 minute argument over the phone, I boxed up the medication, wrote "DID NOT AUTHORIZE" all over the box, and then sent it back to them. Their response: "We can either destroy it and charge you for the medicine, or we can send it back to you and charge you. Either way, you're getting billed." How is this legal? So frustrated!!!!

PISSED 6/4/14 9:23AM
  • THEY SUCK!!! That would be my very professional opinion reguarding thier service. To bad there is not a darn thing we can do about it, and they know it.

pissed 6/4/14 8:57AM
  • Add all of the complaining together on this site and it will not equal the pathetic ordeal I have been going through for 7 years. YES SEVEN YEARS. Is there no one in the company who cares. I am leaving my e-mail address at the end of this COMPLAINT to see if there is one person in a high position that cares enough to e-mail me back and explain the reason I still have a problem after SEVEN years. I spend at least 6-8 thousand dollars a year for prescriptions. If it sounds like I am upset, you are wrong it is MUCH WORSE than that.

I will b e waiting for a e-mail. (probably forever).

norrisbrook 6/3/14 11:22AM
  • Express Scripts is ok, it's their "Speciality pharmacy" Accredo that is horrible ! RUDE customer service people,
    They lie all the time. Never do what they say they will do. Will not ship meds on time - if ever. Been fighting they every 3 months for over 2 years without success.
    HORRIBLE just HORRIBLE. Next step is to contact OPM and let then know.

Unhappy 6/3/14 9:57AM
  • Extremely Overloaded System. To Many Gatekeeprs.
    Disconcted Twice. It Took 45 Minutes To Resolve Five Minutes Issue.

STASH 6/2/14 9:36AM
  • I cannot believe that a company that is so poorly run is permitted to handle prescription drugs. I was shipped three prescription medications were not ordered. They have debited my insurance company, and they will not credit the insurance company until the meds are returned. It's now the 3rd week, and their return mailer has yet to arrive. I am now told that it takes 45 to 60 days to get a return mailer out to me. Again, they should be shut down.

CMS 5/27/14 11:19AM
  • They messed up my perscription three days in a row then double billed me because they did not fill all on the same day. I paind $80.00 more than I should have THEIVES

MarkJ 5/22/14 9:46AM
  • The service representatives at Express-Scripts are the most inept people I have ever dealt with. I spoke to 4 different ones today and they all told me something different. How hard is it to figure out how many vials of insulin you need to fill a 90 day supply when you take 50 units daily? I am frustrated beyond words and cannot believe how rude these people are. Why do insurance companies dictate where you must fill your prescriptions? At least give us options of two or three pharmacies.

sam 5/14/14 11:00AM
  • Keeps sending meds I did not order. For the 3rd time, ExpressScripts sends send a generic DESPITE my doctor telling them to send name brand. The generic causes a coughing side effect. When I call them, they tell me I have to pay for the generic, and pay for the name brand --- AND blame my doctor for not sending the correct info.

So I talk to my doctor, and he shows me how he has it marked as name brand -- no generic. ExpressScripts tells me I'm saving money...and I tell themI'm coughing to death. They dont seem to understand that I want to pay for what I want to buy...NOT WHAT THEY WANT TO SELL! When that happens, I cannot get a refill at a local pharmacy becasue the insurance has already paid ExpressScripts. Great scammers! ...and I cannot complain to anyone to get them to change.

Metabolic Syndrome Guy 5/5/14 7:23PM
  • Ah, the frustrating hilarity of dealing with Express Scripts. A place where the right hand and the left hand are strangers.

My husband has metastatic cancer and takes numerous drugs. We began the renewal process for one of them when he still had a 10-day supply. Simple enough, right? Apparently not this time. With only two days left, I called to check on the status and was told the script had been cancelled.

Did our oncologist cancel it? Lo and behold, the ES pharmacist canceled it because it was written for a 30 day supply and god bless the little pharm's heart, he or she asked the doc for a new script because 90 days would be cheaper. No feedback to us that it was canceled.

On April 29, after multiple rounds of musical chairs with many incompetent patient 'advocate' reps at ES, we thought all was settled after talking with yet another supervisor. She said she would 'overnight' a 90-day supply at their expense and it would ship within 2-6 days. We received confirmation of such on their website. My husband's oncologist provided enough of the drug to tide him over until then.

Late on May 2, my husband went on line to check the status and it had been cancelled again and they were waiting for our doctor to contact them.

Today's (Monday May 5) Fun With ES included a # of calls to finally get things straightened out yet again. I was told there were two reasons it was cancelled. First, an ES pharmacist had cancelled the 90-day script because Tri-Care only fills for a max of 45 days. (Remember, we were told last week that the 30 script had been cancelled because 90 days was needed since that would be cheaper.)

The second reason was that the pharmacist noticed this drug caused interactions with other drugs my husband takes.

Really? A physician prescribing multiple cancer meds doesn't know that already and, oh by the way, hasn't discussed this with the patient and doesn't do all kinds of blood work to keep on top of it.
    I guess this pharmacist must think he is a frigging saint since he has protected my hubby without letting the patient or the oncologist know.

So, after many more calls, I have been told now that they have gone back and reinstated the original 30-day prescription and all should proceed nicely. Do I laugh or cry?

I feel fortunate that I can do all this to help my hubby receive his drugs but it scares me to think about others who are really sick and don't have the energy or mindset to keep calling.

Express Scripts: You have multiple problems with your procedures, policies, processes and people. Is it any wonder that you recently reported a 14% loss and have several subpoenas to answer? I am sure there are a few there who are good, caring people who really do try to do what's right and what makes sense. The rest of you can go to hell.

na 5/5/14 8:03AM
  • dealing with company makes me want to take my chances going off my meds.

Anonymous 5/1/14 10:22AM
  • Just ordered from Express Scripts for the first time and the cost of meds was twice the price of my local pharmacy and more than twice what I was quoted by their rep when I ordered. I told the rep that I wouldn''t accept a generic substitution and was then quoted a price which for the generic brand. Can't return the pills so I'm out a lot of money. Won't make that mistake again.

Anonymous 4/30/14 12:30PM
  • Express scripts - to which we have NEVER belonged - billed us for 100 in 2009. Called and got is squared away and they realized their mistake, and now, years later, they have sent it to Collections. I have been attempting to contact them and have been hung up on. Next stop? Atty general?

pam 1/17/14 10:30AM
  • The old version of the site was excellent, the current "Dashboard" is virtually unusable.

I would appreciate communication with someone high enough in management to have the website decision makers under supervision. I am willing to wager that some entity was actually paid to replace a working system with garbage.

It is obvious to me that the decision makers did not try both old and new. Nor did they have a focus group of users try them.

Jim Russell

jimr122783 1/9/14 3:48PM
  • I have received great service. I had pass word trouble this morning, and the lady that helped me was pleasant, maintained a voice that told me she was glad to help me. She also helped me solve a problem with the date of my refill. I am so glad I did not have to stand in a long line at our local drug store after shopping for nearly an hour.

joyscottl 12/10/13 6:03AM
  • Like so many seniors, I was extremely wary of ordering my pills thru an then-unknown company. Not to worry---they have been cheerfully and carefully filling and refilling all my orders (most were automatic refills) for several years now. The price is unbeatable. (I am Scottish at heart.) The quality is excellent. Very good company.

lizzie 10/26/13 1:06PM
  • I've spoken to several employees and my experience was the same horrible.But I've spoken to Ms Passion Ford on an issue I've been dealing with the past several months.She spoke to me with the upmost coutesy, real concern ,and very efficient on handling my ordeal.for the first time in years I relived and wasn't angry I hung up the phone. If the rest of the employees can take a page out of ns Ford's book the company will rank in the high 90's on their customer service surveys.

cookie monster 8/3/13 10:51AM
  • I had Express Scripts for about 6 years or longer through State of Michigan retirement; I loved them. They were the best and most efficient mail order pharmacy to work with and always watching how one of our medications might interact with a new one that the doctor would order. I am sorry to hear/read of other bad experiences.

Confused in Michigan 4/24/13 6:14PM
  • I have nothing but good things to say about Express Scripts. I have never had an issue with my prescriptions being filed or my questions answered. Hats off to Express Script keep up the good work!

Deb 1/17/13 3:47PM
  • We are very pleased with the way all our prescriptions are filled.Right on time,never run out.Our Dr faxes them in for us---We don`t have to run to the Drug store,which is a Blessing for us----Thank God for Express Scripts--

Anonymous 5/8/12 12:16PM
  • The only problem I have is getting my doctor to fax in prescriptions to them. Once they have the prescription, they fill them promptly and I never have to worry. The customer service is A+ and I am going to switch my entire family over to their service. My father has Tri-Care and no one really cares if we have to use CVS instead of Walgreens for his meds. Like I said, I will be switching him to Express Scripts too... very convenient.

SunnyDisposition 4/16/12 2:06AM
  • I had to drops Express Scripts they were just making to many mistake and my health were paying for it.
    They always blame the patient for what happen with their medications.
    And now they are charging you an extra copay if you use Brand name medication vs Generic.
    I'm not sure if that is legal, i will keep asking the question.

someonecares 4/12/12 9:50AM
  • You do not get a person by pressing 3. You need to say "I would like to speak to a patient care advocate." I only had to wait about 30 seconds and got a real person, who tried to resolve my issue, could not, so she contacted supervisor and resolved the problem. Make life easier...get your prescriptions mail order.

Customer Service OK 2/28/12 12:59PM
  • I have never had any problems with this company.

Anonymous 2/7/12 11:08AM
  • Strange. Never had any problems with the Express Scripts. Except perhaps with their automated calls offering refills. however, there was always an option just to say NO - and they discontinue these calls.
    (Their voice recognition is superb, considering my thick foreign accent that was never a problem with their auto system)
    The supporting staff is generally polite and patient, and those who introduce themselves as some kind of ADVOCATES, are pretty helpful despite the naive and pretentious name of what is boiled to the usual customer service.
    I'd grade them 3-plus out of 4 and recommend their service to my friends and relatives.
    V. Levin.
    Manhattan, NY

interdial 1/27/12 11:39AM
  • I have been receiving my medication from Express Scripts for approximately eight years. I have never had any problems with them, and the customer service people are extremely helpful if I have questions about a pending order.

lawgirl3 12/12/11 4:42PM
  • Mailed a prescription from VA to AZ. Was received on 17 Oct; verified-filled-packaged-shipped the same day. Couldn't ask for more than that!

Anonymous 10/21/11 3:35AM
  • Positive experience...customer svc agent v helpful!

kimmyp 7/26/11 4:27PM
  • Express Scripts has always delivered on time!! Much better that all of the other mail order pharmacies, ESI is truly committed to their members... THANK YOU ESI!!!

Pro ESI 4/11/11 7:48AM
  • Mine is at best a "lukewarm" positive response, but having read the horror stories of other customers right after sending Express Scripts my first order, well, I was worried enough to ramrod said order thru their corporate maze. (Past experience fighting with six phone companies on a 911 implementation project helped.) I found that by calling daily for updates and asking for clarifications on discrepancies between phone and internet status report helped them to clear logjams. Since I was initially naive and thought they might know what they were doing, I made up for lost time by insisting on a rush order (additional cost $21). After 11 phone calls over 12 days, 2 of 3 prescriptions were shipped UPS so I got them 13 days after Express Scripts received them. The third prescription - a common blood pressure medicine - is apparently delayed indefinitely. My doctor's office gave me 2 weeks worth of samples. My advice: Call these people every day...compare what they tell you with the online information. Both may be wrong but demand a clear answer. Bottom line: Do not use this service if you can afford to use a local pharmacy. If you are stuck with these jokers, do not assume it will be as bad as the horror stories described here. For us, it was a big hassle but not a nightmare. Good luck.

Luke Warm 4/1/11 1:39PM
  • I have always received my medication on time. I am sorry my company changed to another prescription company. I have been able to call and get someone on the phone within minutes. As always they have been very helpful and nice on the phone.

Gloria 3/21/11 10:29AM
  • I am now a retired minister. I was a registered pharmacist in my early years. I have used express scripts for several years. I have found then to be accurate and timely in all of my dealings with them. They have saved me an enormous amount of money through my retirement benefit drug plan. I purchase 90 day supplies of 2 very expensive Rxs from them and I consider their services a blessing to me.

Anonymous 2/17/11 2:26PM
  • This is generally a positive review; however, I was unable to find a telephone number to call from the web page to renew my prescription. I could go online, if I had my membership number, but I don't have that with me and I am only trying to return a call that I missed and could miss again. Otherwise, I am very satisfied with the service you provide. My pills arrive on time and in the correct number and dosage.

TEWK 11/15/10 10:16AM
  • We have used Express Scripts for over 10 years and have only had 1 problem. That was 2 weeks ago they sent the incorrect number of pills. I called to report and the rest were sent out within a week. Always friendly and informative.

Anonymous 11/1/10 9:41AM
  • I am a former employee of ESI. When I initially started it was only because I needed a job. Later as I began to see how things work and saw at that time there were some possibility to grow. At least that is what I thought. First I must say the company itself and it's purpose is a good one. However, the management is not to be desired. At the particular site I worked at I saw them separate the Director, a project manager/implementation and a Sr. HR personnel all at one time in one day. The sad part is the employees knew before the people it was applying to. Very unprofessional. Management is offered based on politics, and popularity. People are easily intimidated when a lower level employee appears to be doing a better job. Some of the things that I have seen and heard first hand were very distasteful, Call centers are expected to have complaints they are expected to not satisfy everyone, yet they are also expected to review these complaints and try to fix them. In the site I was employed the centers moral shot to an all time low. It was like they targeted the ones that made it worth coming to work. Then it was replaced with the fake politicians. They removed all the people that were there for the employees and not just for a check. I think that their hiring process should of been revised. It would be difficult for almost anyone to interview with someone you know is not in your favor. Bias played alot when it came to promotions and some didn't even have to interview. The company would be better if the people were better.

youknowme40 12/7/13 12:07AM

• Unfortunately, the many complaints listed here is common place for this industry. I used to work for CVS/Caremark and the level of incompetence in senior ranks is unbelievable. Many of these call center are 3rd party vendors and they only require that you pass a drug test to be hire. Many of the customer service reps are very young people with no experience making $8 an hour. Senior management of these call center are rewarded handsomely just for having a rep answer the phone in a timely manner -it really does not matter if the rep is capable of providing service to the member. It's all about butts in the seats and billable hours for these call centers.

Telling 7/12/13 5:20AM

• Coming from the opinion of an employee, I must say that the level of service what I have grown accustomed to at Post-Medco has definitely downgraded immensely under the management of Express Scrips. Here are a few things I've noticed:

1. Customer Service is very poor- lacking empathy, willingness to assist
    2. Not about the patient's needs but the company's bc instead taking the time to help the patients, now you're on a clock to quickly assist and get them off the phone.
    3. Lots of cuts- from lay-offs to program changes to better business needs
    4. Raises- None to minimal but higher expectation for more
    5. Incentives for Employees reduced or cut- for example for education, there is a cap where of 3500 per year- enough for 2-3 classes in one year at these costs.
    6. Minimal HR contact bc its controlled mostly thru a call center outsourced for our benefits
    7. Crappy and not the best benefits- you may more but the options for quality is lacking.

These are just a few and i could go on and on but in the big picture of looking at things, the only people i see this benefiting are the investors who ESI will need to show some returns to bc the employees are sure not gaining anything so far..

I would not be surprised to see a shift in the employee arena in this company as this economy slowly recovers bc many are not happy but like most too, need a job until better comes along.

So sad for a once good named company that many took pride in working for and now dissected to what is slowly no longer the best company out there to work for.

Disappointed!

ChuloZing 3/15/13 6:47AM

• I used to work for this company. I feel sorry for anyone who has to work for this place. They are awful to work for. I can not figure out how they made it onto the fortune 100. If this is truly the case being part of this list is less than impressive. To put it mildly they are the holding tank for a sewer company.

justme 3/7/13 5:58PM

• I have worked for Express Scripts for over a year as a Patient Care Advocate. I absolutely love my job. I am treated very fairly and am receiving the best benefits from any other job I have ever had. I work hard and am a top performer at my site and feel like my efforts are recognized and rewarded.

I get some negative feedback from patients, pharmacists, and doctor's office, but I believe this can be summed up in large part to lack of knowledge of the companie's policies. If I had one suggestion for improvement, it'd be that those policies are made more accessible to the members and others who service them.

And, the mandatoy overtime thing is a bunch of bologna. All overtime is voluntary. The only time ithey 'draft' for overtime is on holidays and not enough people volunteer. Actually, this month I signed up for 20+ hours of overtime and had it all cancelled!!! I'm upset about THAT!

Anonymous 1/18/13 9:00PM

• I have worked for ESI for just over one year now. I have also worked for Apple Tech support and was even an operations manager for an outbound call center for 5+ years. I've been reading through the complaints, the positive reviews, as well as the employee statements. First, Every call center monitors things like bathroom break time, thats not indicative to ESI only. 2nd, because ESI is a Pharmacy BENEFITS MANAGER, we do end up looking the badguy because we only manage the plans set forth by our clients(the employers/insurance companies who hire us) so when a patient is told their plan doesn't cover a med or they have to use mail order, the plan they have w/ their employer is telling them that, but ESI gets the blame because it's our job be the 'bearers of bad news'. 3rd: I truly believe that great customer service is something that everyone deserves. I expect it when I call somewhere and I sure as heck give it when I answer the phones. I agree with the ESI employee above: 20,000+ employees aren't all evil and incompetent. I can't answer for everyone else that answers the phones, but I KNOW I go out of my way to do the absolute best I can. I take the title 'Advocate' very seriously. But then, I believe in the Quality of the call over the 'quantity' of calls received.
    Finally: The place offers very good benefits, 401k, P for P, and full tuition reimbursement. Most companies do NOT offer all of those. I am not treated like a child by my management, I feel like I'm part of a team who wants to help each other, and I refuse to believe my team or, for that matter, my site, is special. Alot of the complaints I've read from prior employees sound like they come from people who've never worked in a call center before. Call centers are very structured and stat driven. They have to be. Our work is considered 'real time production'. Our work is driven by our call volume and a PCA(or any phone rep) has to be on the phones at their scheduled times because every single MINUTE of that time is factored into a mathematical equation based off that expected call volume. We're offered our jobs KNOWING and AGREEING to this. If you don't like the job quit...Just, please, don't make the mistake of thinking that your experience mirrors everyone elses. I for one, like my job there. I like helping people, I like being told CONSTANTLY by my patients that they're thankful they got me. And yes, I do get quite a few who tell me that they wish they could get me every time, and yes, that does sometimes make me wonder about the other people they've talked to...But I'm starting to wonder if they're just talking to people who are unhappy with their job..People who'd rather NOT do as much as they possibly could. And that's sad. Because it makes the rest of us: People like the person who posted his/her comment back in April about alot of what I said above, look bad.

HappyAtESI 10/17/12 1:02PM

• I used to work at this company in Montvale NJ. There is a reason there are so many complaints and it's because management truly sucks. I left after being bullied by my manager, we'll call her Marcy, who worked out of her home in Pittsburg, her manager, we'll call her Jill, her manager's manager, we'll call him Scott, and two of my co-workers, Vinita, contractor who worked from home and Erin, who also worked from home and was my manager's friend and confidant. Erin and Vinita told Marcy lie after lie about me and Marcy believed them even though I was easily able to disprove what they said. I was not allowed to work from home even though everyone else was. Since I was brought up to respect authority, no matter how stupid or idiotic the authority is, when I was told I could not work from home, like the others, I complied however I mentioned that I would be going home for lunch as I had to walk my dog. Big mistake. Marcy now told me that I couldn't take lunch because even though by law I was supposed to have one, no one else took a lunch so I couldn't either. Since I couldn't take lunch because everyone else didn't take lunch, then I should have been able to work from home because everyone else worked from home. I appealed to Jill, who blew me off. I appealed to Scott and then had to listen to Jill whine about how I went over her head. Jill bragged about how her sister, Allison, beat everyone up in school so she, Jill, never had a problem being bullied and got voted prom queen (Jill is uglier than dog ugly - no offense to the four legged creatures called dogs). Jill however told me that I wasn't to defend myself and used her son as an example, saying how she told him just because someone hits him doesn't mean he should hit back. Was she kidding? Did she expect me to believe this after bragging about her sister, Allison beating everyone up. By the way, I was 20 years older than these idiots. This is what goes on there all day long. This is why service sucks and customer service sucks. I didn't write this to complain or rant - I wrote this to show you what goes on at that company on a daily basis. I've worked for over 30 years and have never had such horrid bullying nasty stupid immature moronic managers in my life. Something needs to be done about bullying not only in schools but in the workplace, too. Oh, yes, I failed to mention. Dear Marcy misrepresented the job she was hiring me for. HR passed my resume to her by accident. I was an executive level employee in past positions and was looking for a career change. Marcy got very excited when she saw my outstanding credentials but she was really looking for an entry level employee and did not have the budget to give me the salary that I was getting ($110,000.00 plus). She only wanted to pay $50,000.00. HR told her they wanted to pull my resume as they felt she would not be happy with me. She demanded that I be hired. She offered me $80,000.00 which I took thinking I would have a career change and be a level lower than what I had been. Marcy portrayed the job to be a much higher level job than it really was. Was I in for the shock of my life my first day on the job in orientation when I realized I was in an entry level position. Then, Marcy told me how she had insisted on hiring me against HR's advise and how she had negotiated to get me $30,000.00 more a year than was budgeted and how she couldn't let me fail. Then she proceeded to treat me like a child. I was used to being treated like an executive and naturally would not take it. Even an entry level person should not have been treated like I was treated by Marcy, Erin, Vinita, Jill and their manager, Scott. How could anyone be so STUPID as to think they could hire an executive level employee for a entry level position and treat them like a child!

Anonymous 10/16/12 5:46PM

• I work for this company, sad to say. They treat employees like little children. I am looking forward to the day, I cannot wait to put them in my rearview mirror. If I had a reasonable choice for meds, I would never go through them. They try to brain wash their employees. The list of negative goes on and on. I am still trying to think of the positive.

jennstarr 9/26/12 7:42AM

• Horrible place to work. Management treats employees as children. They monitor your phone calls, computer screens and bathroom breaks.

Stay away. Stay far away.

esi_employee_of_the_year 7/20/12 9:53AM

• I am an employee of ESI. I can answer most of these complaints that boils down to YOUR benefits from YOUR medical insurance.

We are a Pharmacy BENEFIT MANAGEMENT company first and a pharmacy second. Our "customers" are the clients (your employers) that sets the guidelines that we are obligated to comply with. 9 out of 10 of these complaints revert back to "patients responsibility" in so far as, understanding how to work with ESI, and what their PHARMACY benefit actually is. Essentially our services are more about benefit management rather than being a pharmacy provider.

You always have a right to chose whoever you wish to deal with. Granted you may not receive your pharmacy benefit according to your employers plan but you still have an American right to choose!

It pains me to hear all of these complaints since 20,000 employees are not all evil and we are a highly regulated company, both by our clents and the government. We do a lot of good for patients by supplying equally equivilent medications that are FDA approved.

ESI works in conjunction with your pharmacy benefit plan and we are not to blame for all of these complaints.

I can truly say as an employee that this company has treated me fairly. I have no complaints using their mail order. They are a business in business as a service provider by people and for people... as we continue to grow we continue to improve services.

be8387 4/1/12 11:58AM

• I work for ESI. People that use ESI are just not aware of these rules.
    1. If you have a credit or debit card on file, that card will be charged when an order is shipped. 2. You will see a pending credit charge on your account as an order is being filled. It is not actually charged on the card until the order ships. 3. Since mid June 2011, most people have a $150 line of credit. If what has already shipped and is not paid and a pending shipment equals or exceeds $150, you are required to make a payment to bring the total balance below $150.00 - before any order in process will ship. 4. If the doctor's office send in a new RX, it will be filled and shipped. ESI assumes your doctor keeps you informed of any new medications. 5. Health insurance companies determine their overage rules - selective home delivery (SHD) mail order not mandatory, exclusive home delivery (EHD) - mail order mandatory. They also determine how many courtesy/local pharmacy fills they allow in 365 days. 6. Insurance companies determine drug coverage, copays, drug classification & establish the guidelines/instructions when ESI has to look for a generic alternative - in most cases is it always. 7. Each insurance company determines what mediations require additonal approval and clinical info from the doctor - prior authorization process (PA). 8. Auto refill & automated telephone notifications do not always happen on time. 9. Give yourself 10-15 business days from the day you request the refill until the day the meds shows up on you doorstep. 10. RXs are typically only good for 12 months - they will expire after 12 months - even if there are refills left on the RX.

anonymous 12/5/11 6:33AM

• If you are a nurse, do NOT work for this company!!! Worst job ever with mandatory overtime and low pay. You get NO respect with this company and many customers tell you off because of automated daily calls. HORRIBLE place in Orlando.

Anonymous 12/2/11 10:39AM

• Sad to say I work for the company for 6 plus years I have never worked for a company so disorganized!!!! You ask for help from what should be seasoned leads but itís all a learning process because they donít know anything so you find yourself asking what would you do or say. While talking with a customer for over an hour just to find an answer, the customers go through a dreadful transfer process from one department to another and by the time they get to you and you try to help their extremely exhausted and frustrated. Yes itís true you cannot move around the company without kissing somebody buttÖand for me I donít do that so I have to do what I have to do. I try to apply for jobs outside of Express Scripts but find myself not qualified which is far from the truth for me I went to school and received my license I did not received the dummy of the license that ESI gives out, I believe I do not qualify because I have to place on my application that I work for this company. Yes they know your every move from going to the bathroom just sad. I pray every day for my supervisor to tap me on my shoulder and walk me out!! As much as I want to leave I would be happy and stress-free with having unemployment then to keep working for this company. Hearing the customer complaints day after day I Google ESI complaints and could do nothing but shake my head because everything that is being said is so true!!!!!!!! Do Not work for this company itís a multi-million dollar company only by GREED and we the employees do not get paid enough for all the stress we go through. So many of us or sick, tired, and even passing away. We canít take off to care for ourselves because no time in the bank or we receive points from this dumb point system that takes a whole year to drop off if that, and in this day we all need our jobs. Soon I will leave to flip burgers!!!!

pullingmyhairout 11/11/11 8:30PM

• I work of ESI. I was part of the big buy out from Wellpoint 2 yrs ago in Indianapolis.
    **They make you work so much over time if you have a family just say goodbye to them! You only get 1 day off a week and sometimes not even that.
    ** When they give OT there is not an option! **They manipulate you into thinking things will get better but they only get worse! **They cut back on our night differential from 10% to 5% and cut back on the hours applicable from 6pm to 8pm.
    **They took away letting us have ipods or MP3 players.If they see your cell phone out they will take them from you till the end of your shift.
    **If you dont kiss big time butt then you will NEVER advance to any position or be allowed to change from night hrs to day hrs.
    **If you apply for another position in the company your manager will talk to the other manager and tell them you can not take the position because they dont have the man power to lose personel to another department because (Its robbing Peter to pay Paul!). **They will hold a person back that has no viloations, or mistakes and has exceptional numbers simply because they dont kiss butt. Yet, they will sweep a recent violations under the rug and move a person up because they kiss major butt!
    **They will not allow 1hr lunches any more(without breaks) you must take a 30 min lunch and 2/15 minute breaks and the evening shift does not have access to the cafateria because they close at 2pm and lunches are often stolen from the community friges.
    **If you do not leave on time for your lunch or breaks you lose that time.
    **You are clocked on the amount of time u take to go to the bathroom.
    **you get violations if you spend too much time talking to a patient or Dr. office.
    **The whole place is filthy and you are not given any time to clean your own area (because the 15 minutes you take to stock and clean can be used more productively). **There is no talking to others in your area at all! You must use your own time to chat. **They treat emplyees like children and talk to you like one as well.
    The only thing this company cares about is the all mighty dollar! When Christine Huston comes for the "Town Hall Meetings" the only thing she talks about is how much the company made and how we are working on keeping the stock holder happy by making more money for them! They want robots not humans! We have a very limited amount of people whom still work and yet they say we can push out more! We have lost many people and they have not replaced 1! We get temps every so often but they only stay for about 2 weeks (if they come back) then they are gone and we are right back to being stressed out! If you take a call you can not make a patient happy because they time you and if you are filling an order and you know something is missing or not right you cant ask questions (it waste time, just fill it and if we have to make another shipment they will call to get whatever they are missing). There is no Patient care at all! They simply dont care! they dont care about the emplyees and theyr family, they dont care about the patients or thier family. They only care about making money for the stock holders and thats it!
    I will be looking for another job and George Paz can kiss my BLK BUTT! Im DONE!

Anonymous 5/20/11 6:16PM

• I have been reading through the customer and employee complaints and this and other websites after a co-worker suggested I do a Google search for "Express Scripts Complaints" today. Yes, I do work at Express Scripts currently and sadly, I am not shocked at ALL after reading these comments. ESI promotes driving down cost, patient safety and getting the right drug to the right patient but after 2 years with the company, I've come to find it's all a lie. Management will lie right to your face, or if you are the customer, lie to you on the phone just to get you off of the line.
    The technology used at ESI is ridiculously outdated. I am frankly shocked that it doesn't crash more often. You have to have about a dozen programs running just to do your job, and they all don't communicate effectively with each other. No wonder everyone gets misinformation, deliveries to wrong addresses and various other mishaps!
    The caliber of people that get promoted are gossipy, backstabbing, lying, untrustworthy and spiteful, in general. There are a few exceptions to the rule. You can imagine what a nightmare it is to try and work under this type of management. It is true that they do not communicate with other departments, and that they try to find reasons to fire you, and even that they harass people!
    Many of my co-workers are honest, trustworthy and hardworking people who are being forced to work overtime to make up for all of the firings that upper-management has done for (in my opinion) petty reasons. I suppose it's cheaper to pay one person time and a half than 2 salaries, right?
    As of now, we've been forced, yes FORCED to work mandatory overtime for 7, 8 months now? It's been so long I've lost track. If we don't work it or have other obligations, we get written up and put on steps until we're out the door.
    ESI does have benefits: Health, matching 401k, and does promote from within. But what good is all of that when the turnover rate is ridiculously high, departments don't communicate with eatch other, the patient/customer is unhappy and the product isn't getting to them on time or even to the right location?
    I have seen alot of things in my 2 years. Notably, Shawn Lo Stracco, who was mentioned in a couple complaints, has stepped down as call center manager and has been replaced. But in general we still have the same DOS based system, the same incompetant PCAs and Evil Supervisors.
    How ironic that we are forced to fill our own prescriptions at ESI! Remember that, customers, when speaking to a PCA on the phone or thinking of the people who process your scripts. We have to go through the same pain in the @ss process you do, and NO we don't get any special treatment!

DisappointedEmployee 5/12/11 10:30PM

• I work for a doctor's office and they are horrific. We bad mouth them all the time; because they seem to lie. There seems to be some kind of communication glitche as our families and the nursing staff are constantly getting told different things for the same calls. I am suppose to use them and I won't. One day I spent more time dealing w/ their issues then managing pts calls...

Momma Dog 4/27/11 11:55AM

• Don't work at ESI...ever! They treat their employees like diseased livestock. You will not succeed by working hard and producing quality work, but you will succeed if you are good at playing office politics, kissing the right backsides, watching your fellow employees get walked out (I've never seen a place fire so many people...it's absurd), putting up with management lying to you (it's an epidemic), and having no personal life. They told me I was going to get a bonus and then went back on it saying they had a bad year financially. Really? Is that why they were able to give the CEO a 19% pay increase, pay 4 billion dollars to purchase a competitor, put more than 3 billion into savings, and pay some VPs extra bonus money? Morale is low and employees are constantly worried about getting fired because they fire so many of them. I saw people get set up...meaning a manager would decide they just didn't like a person and then HR would start looking for evidence they could use to fire them. They cut back on support staff (lower level staff) and pushed more work on to the support staff still there (all in the name of budget cutting) while they let the people at the Director/VP/SVP level stay in $400 hotels, have $100 meals (per person) and use limos. They are constantly giving the employees surveys to fill out so they can win one of those "best places to work" awards and they never win. They never will. Why don't the managers there wake up and smell the coffee and realize their employees hate working there and they are developing a bad reputation in St. Louis because of it? What comes around goes around. Eventually it will come back around to them. If you want your work life to be a living hell then by all means go work there. If you want to have a happy workplace then stay as far away as possible. I've seen them discriminate against women, against whites (yes, someone in HR told a hiring manager they couldn't hire someone for a particular role unless they were "diverse"), and against lower level staff (I heard a VP call the men who work in the mailroom "losers"). Basically the company has no ethics whatsoever (especially the management team and HR).

wow 4/14/11 9:37AM

• As an almost three year employee of ESI, I have to say that I am shocked and very, very disappointed at the lack of customer service especially in the pharmacy industry. We are not like calling to dispute your cell phone bill, we deal with greatly needed medication. I am in complete agreement about its faulty practices and know that your complaints are read and should be forwarded to the different call center and manager etc for their immediate attention. Our positions are being outsourced to a foreign country. I can only apologize for their poor choices. As a patient myself, I advocate for you, the patients.

frustrated employee 1/31/11 8:41PM

• I worked for ESI, and this is what I saw.
    -Management does treat the employees like crap.
    -Management tends to change policies without notifying anyone, and then hold you responsable for abying buy the old policy.
    -Everyone who works on the dod accounts have to go through a background check before having access to them. There were people who worked on these accounts for years before getting a background check.
    -Management has no communications skills what-so-ever.
    All other complaints from customers are very, very true.
    Another thing, if you are a DOD patient, and have a complaint, call your congressman, senator, the DOD themselves to file a complaint.

hershey 12/3/10 12:05PM

• Express Scripts is bs. I know. I worked there. They lie about contacting your doctor to justiy why u havent heard back from them about your meds...Some PCA's write ppl's CC#' down and God only knows what they do with them off work...they also put phones on mute to laugh at patients and the list goes on. I know, i worked there. We had to lie to patients about various things all the time, and we couldn't engage in normal human conversation with the patients unless we wanted to get red-flagged by the stupid retarded ass quality department. All Express Scripts cares about is money. Never put your credit card on file with these jerks, and if you have it on file, call and take it off ASAP. I feel sorry for the people who have no choice but to use Express Scripts. UGH.

Leah 10/13/10 8:36AM

• I am an employee of ESI. I can answer most of these complaints that boils down to your benefits from you medical insurance. We are a Pharmacy BENEFIT MANAGEMENT company first and a pharmacy second. Our "customers" are the clients (your employers) that sets the guidelines that we are obligated to comply with. 9 out of 10 of these complaints revert back to patients responsibility in so far as, understanding how to work with ESI, and what their PHARMACY benefit actually is. Essentially our services are more about benefit management rather than being a pharmacy provider. You always have a right to chose whoever you wish to deal with. Granted you may not receive your pharmacy benefit according to your employer but you still have an American right to choose! It pains me to hear all of these complaints since 14,000 employees are not all evil and we are a highly regulated company, both by our clents and the government. We do a lot of good for patients by supplying equally equivilent medications that are FDA approved.
    Like any United States corporation there are always and always will be human factors that need improvement. Please try us again. Please direct your complaints to our company directly so they can be resolved.
    Thank you.

Jack46 9/26/10 6:16AM

• I work for express scripts and ever comment list below is true and then sum. I,m out of the bensalem office in Pennsylvannia. I was part of contract negociations. Express scripts exact words were The share holders come first always. They stated they would rather lose customers then upset the share holders. Express scripts made 25 Billion+ last year for the second part of the year. They make you feel lousy working for them. The employees don't matter at all. As an employee were not allowed to get are meds at a local pharmacy, so many of the employees pay full price at local pharmacies as there a lot cheaper and much nicer. It's a shame that a successful company won't take of their employees and will fire them when they reach a mile stone like a 5 or 10 year annivarsary.

Anonymous 6/16/10 10:28PM

• I used to work for Express Scripts. I started in 1997 and left the company in 2001 returned for a short period of time and left again. I worked in the call center out of the Minnesota location. When I started they were known as Value rx, I was really impressed with how the call center was ran. They seemed very concerned with delivering excellent customer service. However all that changed when they were bought by Express Scripts, delivering excellent customer service was no longer a concern. What was now the concern was numbers. What i mean by that is they promise there corporate customers that they will answer there calls in a set amount of time or Express Scripts will cut them a check. I do not beileve that its possible to deliver excellent customer service while making sure your numbers look good. Even though I was always getting compliments on the good customer service from the callers, I wasnt delivering good numbers and the supervisors made my life a living hell. I was disgusted with the management there and finally left for good in 2002 and never went back.

Anonymous 5/15/10 7:20PM

• I have worked for ESI for almost 3 years as a Patient Care Advocate (customer service). However, due to the companies lack of management, non existent communication between departments and the complete disregard for patient satisfaction I have given my 2 weeks notice. I have read through a few of the comments and agree with them on most counts. Being a Patient Care Advocate is very difficult because on one had you are told by supervisors to do all that you can to help the members with any issues they have but when you reach out for help from other departments or managers you are brushed off. The technology is laughable. The ESI website is constantly down and even the systems we work with in the call centers are so outdated they crash on a regular basis. Sometime the system gives us miss information that is passed on to the patients.
    I do have to say that when upper management is aware of an issue they do try and correct it but its cutting through all the other departments and low level managers that are crippling the company.

Anonymous 4/25/10 7:51PM

Check out these popular comparisons of Express Scripts customer service versus other companies:
Express Scripts vs. Caremark
Express Scripts vs. Costco
Express Scripts vs. CVS
Express Scripts vs. Medco
Express Scripts vs. Walgreens
Express Scripts vs. Walmart
Authorized representatives of Express Scripts can sign up to reply to any of the comments found on this page.

800-206-4005
Express Scripts customer service phone number including steps to reach representatives, hours of operation, customer support links and more from ContactHelp.com.

Complete Express Scripts customer service phone numbers and contact information at ContactHelp.com

Locate the Express Scripts corporate office headquarters phone number, address and more at CorporateOfficeOwl.com.

Express Scripts corporate office headquarters information at CorproateOfficeOwl.com

Get immediate support for your Express Scripts questions from HelpOwl.com.

Receive immediate support for Express Scripts at HelpOwl.com

View thousands of Express Scripts user reviews and customer ratings available at ReviewOwl.com.

Express Scripts reviews and ratings at ReviewOwl.com

Express Scripts plans to lay off 390 in Tampa
The Tampa office will remain open, and employees there will continue to perform quality-assurance work and run a call center for customers. The Orlando office will not be affected by any cuts. Express Scripts has headquarters in St. Louis and employs ...
Express Scripts 2Q profit falls 49 percent
St. experienced Heavy; l O; LCA Teaching; Cable TV; Shuttle Drivers; immediate Openings; medical Assistant/lpn; cdl Class; office Manager; pipe Fitters; staff Accountant; Part Time customer service Reps; admin Pro; Mobile Phlebotomist; Client Support ...
With Employers' Pressure On, Walgreen and Express Scripts Bury Hatchet
Obamacare May Be Helping Improve Insurers' Notoriously Poor customer service 18907 views; New Model Of Health Care Taking Root, Whether Or Not Obamacare Survives 11152 views; Why Wellpoint's Medicaid Play Is Smarter Than Rick Scott's 9870 ...